Hewlett Packard laptop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a laptop, just over a year old, so warranty's just run out.
The cd drive has suddenly developed a problem. It won't play a cd, or recognise one. I also no longer get the pop-up screen giving the alternatives, e.g burn audio cd etc.
The strange thing is, the drive will play dvd's.
Any one else had this problem, or got any advice? I don't understand why theres a problem with cd's, but dvd's work fine.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Buy an external CD Writer

I have 2 HP laptops both with DVD drives faulty, when I need to install windows I use a PEN DRIVE plus I have my main PC with working DVD WRITER so it makes no difference

EBAY is your best bet if you after a replacement

Firstly though, have someone take a close look and see if it actually is faulty

Any one else had this problem, or got any advice? I don't understand why theres a problem with cd's, but dvd's work fine.

It could be a dirty drive, or a failed laser. CDs and DVDs use different lasers, hence why one works and the other doesn't.

If a replacement drive is needed, don't listen to the cheapskate. Buy a new one, you'll get a warranty. They're not exactly pricy items.

If you tell us the model we can identify a suitable drive.

cheapskate?? haha you make me laugh monkey boy

I would have no problem fitting a working second hand DVD drive into my HP 6910p and my nc6320 google them trust me they were not cheap!!!!! there more of a corporate laptop than a home laptop so there is a lot more connectivity especially the nc6320

Just to also let you know the replacement power supply I bought for £6 still working fine, hasn't caught fire or burnt my house down :LOL:

Sponsored Links
would you ladies stop bickering you are obviously both good at what you do, you'd be more productive if you stopped making these threads your little war zone.

would you ladies stop bickering you are obviously both good at what you do, you'd be more productive if you stopped making these threads your little war zone.

Me and Monkey are not "at war" as you put it, it is always nice to get 2 perspectives on things wouldn't you agree

Like you saying it's wrong to re-install windows due to being compromised, you even told me to stop giving that advice which is a bit hard faced isn't it

now your just being pathetic you know exactly what I meant, you have the cheek to complain about other members having differences when you also have them with me, not the full shilling are you

cheapskate?? haha you make me laugh monkey boy

I would have no problem fitting a working second hand DVD drive into my HP 6910p and my nc6320 google them trust me they were not cheap!!!!! there more of a corporate laptop than a home laptop so there is a lot more connectivity especially the nc6320

And I would have no problem fitting a working second hand drive into my Thinkpad, which was not cheap. Only problem is it won't fit, and I won't buy a second hand drive when a new one is £20 and has a two year warranty. ;)

I disagree with both monkeh and efc at times but it's all just an opinion and there's a mutual respect (I think).

For example I'd say that a compromised system should almost always be reinstated to a known good point else a rebuild would be required. That would be for *nix systems and for windows even more so.

Else how do you know that the payload wasn't in it's dormant period or that the code is polymorphic (for Trojans, viri) and that it took several mutations before it's signature matched or got caught by a heuristic engine?

Case in point, last week we had a pm Trojan which defeated mcaffee, norton , nod32.

Signatures were passed to the relevant teams but we rebuilt the machine as we couldn't positively tell when it was last clean Fortunately alterius is a marvel for pushing build images to clients.

It was fortunate that the payload did not seek to replicate across network connections and was simply an infect once Trojan. Else we'd have had a severe problem.

Pfft we don't do java!

I'm a c/c++/asm and now objective c man

Java is for wimps.

Else how do you know that the payload wasn't in it's dormant period or that the code is polymorphic (for Trojans, viri) and that it took several mutations before it's signature matched or got caught by a heuristic engine?

Erm......have no idea what you just said and to be frank I don't want know either, put me in a high paid security position and I would feel the need to know it, until then its all gobbledeegook

Fortunately alterius is a marvel for pushing build images to clients.

Exactly thats the s**t right there, instead of fiddling round with heuristic polymorphic tab;le signatures lets just send an image down in 10 minutes flat, its not just the MS way to be super efficiant it actually makes more sense

Could easily be a software problem, from an update or whatever. First thing I would do, as I usually do when I find a problem that I don't quite understand, is try a system restore to be sure it's not from an update. Go back to a date that you are sure the drive worked properly on. If that doesn't work then I'd certainly check ebay for a replacement drive for your laptop, but if it's hard to find, I'd get an external drive. Might be worth getting one of these anyway, as they are inexpensive and always handy.
The DVD drive on my macboom pro no longer works and I haven't bothered replacing it. I just put what I need on a usb pen drive via my PC or dell laptop and play it on the Macbook?

Sponsored Links
Back