JG pushfit new radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have reworked/enlarged the WC replaced upstairs plumbing / added sink in wc / repositioned sink in bathroom /installed bath and taps etc. I used JG speedfit and a coil of the JG layflat PEX.

Anyhow, the WC does not have any heating and would benefit from a v.small towel rail radiator.

Directly accessible under the floor of the WC is the 22mm copper runs for the central heating. Boiler is a 3yr old Worcester combi. Boiler service man said it has capacity for more radiators.

I've never worked on central heating and am weighing up whether DIY is a good idea or not.

Can anyone let me know if this plan sounds ok? Am I missing anything?

1) turn off boiler
2) drain system
3) cut the 22mm pipe feed and return
4) add 2x 22mm to 15mm reducing tees
5) route the 15mm to the towel radiator
6) refill system / add inhibitor / bleed all rads etc until air out of system / at correct pressure
7) turn boiler on

Is is that "simple"?

How do I identify the 22mm feed vs return? Do I turn on heating and see what gets hot first?

I understand I may have to balance the system after.

Any glaring gaps or pitfalls?

Should I just pay someone who'll do it in half the time?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
1. Nothing wrong with your plan.
1a. You could use Speedfit 22:15:22 tees.
1b. You won't need inserts in the copper pipe, but you will of course in any plastic pipe.
1c. I assume the Speedfit PEX is a barrier pipe, which you need for central heating.
1d. You might like to think about coming up in copper to the radiator valves. Plastic is very difficult to get (and keep) absolutely straight.
1e. Don't be tempted to fit isolation valves in the central heating pipework. They are generally not rated for continuous CH temps, and will leak.
2. Flow gets hot first.
3. If your earlier DIY plumbing was all OK, no reason why you shouldn't do this yourself.

How do I identify the 22mm feed vs return? Do I turn on heating and see what gets hot first?
doesnt matter which way round if you are planning on fitting a TRV just make sure it is Bi-directional and unless the towel rail you install has a baffle it wont matter which you connect to either end

Ten bob says there won't be enough space around the 22mm runs to get 22mm speedfit tees in.

Sponsored Links
Ten bob says there won't be enough space around the 22mm runs to get 22mm speedfit tees in.
20201114_154533.jpg

Donate the tenner to here and they'll plant 2 trees https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/features/plant-a-tree?intcmp=plant_atree_autumn20_donatehub_teaser

Dedicate them to the users of this site :LOL:

Why not fit a similar size conv.rad.Will give approx 2x the heat

Because wifey wants a towel rad. Logic and reason will not work...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back