John Carr patio doors.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bought a 15 year old house about 6 months ago which has sliding John Carr wooden patio doors. As the wetter months have arrived the door has started to stick when sliding. At first I thought the runners were clogged but it now seems the door top is fouling on the frame, possibly due to swelling. In my old house the aluminium doors had ride height adjusters, but I cant seem to find any adjustment on the J. Carr doors. In fact cant seem to find a way to get into the doors at all. No infor on the John Carr (now Jen weld) site. Can anyone help....is there a way to solve this or am I looking at new doors?
Regards
Argentum

Sponsored Links
Where are they sticking/fouling, you mention ride height adjustment so do you mean they're catching along the runner area?

If so you'll need to adjust it up (as you pointed out), it may be that the bogey wheels are set that far in you can't see them, you may need to lift the doors off the runner and lay it on its side to see if theres any adjustment left, it could be that the wheel bearings have collapsed or if the wheel is a nylon type it has broken up and caused the sticking, if you do need bogies then theres plenty available online, they don't need to be john carr

I can see scrape marks where the top edge of the door is touching the sill directly above it, on which the runner rail sits. I can just see the bogey wheels and as you say, I tried to lift it off the rail but there does not seen to be any room to lift it off. This is why I thought there may be an external adjustment point to allow me to give myself the play to lift off the door....but I cant find one. The door is heavy as well, solid oak I think. It worked all summer fine so I think it has just swollen a little.

You have to lower the door to give you the room in the height to be able to lift it over the runner but seeing as yours is low to start with it should be able to lift over, i had mine off that many times for furniture deliveries its second nature plus kind of my job too :confused: , it may be that it requires a second helper to give it a lift and pull, or like mine a bolster chisel underneath to prize it over the runner

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I will try giving it a little encouragement. You mentioned lowering the door and that was exactly what I thought, just cant find a way of doing it. My old aluminium ones had a screw that you could access from the door edge but these dont seem to have any visible means of adjustment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back