@ johnny 2007

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You said you have an Audi A6 Le Mans with tech' that ...

Some cars like mine have a radar which keeps the distance between your car and that in front.
You can set how many lengths the distance is.

Mine is always set at minimum, so one length (5 metre).

I'm interested to know what year your car is and how it comes to have that tech'.

Sponsored Links
If you lie about personal experiences, you have to have a good memory, and be able to back it up.

Probably just fantasizing, doesn't understand what he's talking about, and being a troll.
If you do find him driving the way he suggests behind you, simply jam your brakes on a few times, he'd soon get píssed off. Unless you're in something more nimble than that barge of his, in which case he'll hit you.
He seems to think carbon brakes will reduce stopping distance. Wrong.

Last edited:
I'm interested to know what year your car is and how it comes to have that tech

Adaptive Cruise Control does that.

I thought the min was about 2 car lengths, way more than 5 metres

Sponsored Links
Mine does that, but I almost always have it set to max spacing

It can be useful for motorway cruising but I think entirely inappropriate for busy traffic

Do such systems really allow you to specify a separation distance rather than a separation time?

LGV's have had this function for a few years now.

It's NOT radar, it's done by camera.

I call it RADAR. The makers call it "microwave"

Unlike you, I am not a truck driver.

Probably just fantasizing, doesn't understand what he's talking about, and being a troll.
If you do find him driving the way he suggests behind you, simply jam your brakes on a few times, he'd soon get píssed off. Unless you're in something more nimble than that barge of his, in which case he'll hit you.
He seems to think carbon brakes will reduce stopping distance. Wrong.

Also, if, for example, a bike falls off the carrier, something blows off the roof rack, a silencer or other part comes loose, or the car in front throws up road debris, or goes into a pile-up, he will hit it.

Here we are:

"The adaptive cruise control system is designed to aid the driver to maintain a gap to the vehicle ahead, or a set road speed if there is no slower vehicle ahead.

The adaptive cruise control system uses a radar sensor, which projects a beam directly forward of the vehicle, to detect objects ahead.

The radar sensor is mounted behind the badge in the upper grille, to provide a clear view forward for the radar beam."

(So they do call it "radar")

And

"Adaptive cruise control is not a collision warning or avoidance system and drivers should not assume that this feature will correct errors of judgement while driving.

Additionally, adaptive cruise control does not react to:

Stationary or slow moving vehicles below 10 km/h (6 mph).

Pedestrians or objects in the road.

Oncoming vehicles in the same lane."

Yeah, it has been an optional extra on cars for ages, gradually moving down the price points.

Mine allows you to set a relative following time. EG. 2 seconds gap, 4 seconds gap. I normally have mine in 2 seconds because that's what you're supposed to be doing but bump it up as needed when it is wet or cold.

Visible light camera systems are the minority, nearly all use radar of some form.

Sponsored Links
Back