Joining ceiling joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi apologies if this has been covered in the forums before. I recently bought and moved in to a terrace that was built in 1895. I am about to try and strengthen the joists in my loft as they are pretty bendy when walked on (think crawling around on your hands and knees praying you don't go through).

The existing joists are only 2" x 3"s and and span 6.5 metres (front to back) with a loading bearing wall right in the middle which supports the centre. The joists don't show any sign of woodworm or rot but do have some small cracks in them. Basically I think they are fine for holding up the plasterboards but I do want to feel safe when I am walking up there.

The loft is only going to be used for storage and I am not planning a loft conversion. I am planning to double up the joists (or sister them as they say in the US) with 200m x 47mm treated c16 timber. I managed to get hold of some span tables and this size of timber seems more than adequate.

As I can't find 6.5 metre timbers and I don't want to rip the whole ceiling down to get them up there anyway. I am planning on using 3600mm long timbers which will be cut to size and nailed to the existing joists. The joists will have to meet over the load bearing wall and there lies the problem. The rafters on both ends of the house join on the same side of each existing joist therefore I have to run the new joists all 6.5 metres down one side with them butted up over the central load baring wall.

Can I use splice plates to join the timbers (the join will be over a load bearing wall not as shown)?

fixing_6.jpg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back