Joining conductors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering what the accepted method was for joining two conductors in alarm cable together?

Sponsored Links
I find bootlace crimp ferrules and a sleeve of heat shrink make a compact and reliable joint when crimped with a ratchet crimper.

Be careful with the heat gun as the insulation on some alarm cable melts even on the lowest heat setting of the hot air gun.

Sponsored Links
Strip and twist together, including the insulation, and put into one side of a choc block.

I'm not a fan of covering everything with half a yard of insulating tape - it makes it difficult for the next guy to know what's lurking underneath. :eek:

Alarm cable is quite thin, and therefore I would agree with Bernard Green and use bootlace ferrules and a crimp tool with heatshrink over. Chockbloc connectors are large and an eyesore, and can allow the cable to be disjointed very quickly! Owain DIYer's suggestion to use a tamperproof junction box is also perfectly valid, of course.

The best way is to organise your cable runs in your house that will not necessitate joints in cable, it's not rocket science or a huge factory.

Inside the control panel 2amp terminal strip will do the job.

LARGE. you're having a laugh.

ps I don't think many 20way JBs will be in use here (Terminal strip JBs)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back