Jointing compound advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a bit of taping and jointing to do where a section of plasterboard was replaced. I don't particularly want to skim the whole wall for various reasons.

I've done this type of work before but decided to refresh my memory on YouTube, and almost all the content is from the USA using brands that aren't available here.

As far as I can tell, across the pond they tend to use the products roughly as follows:
- "Setting" compounds for filling deeper holes, I think the equivalent in UK would be something like EasiFill 20
- Full-weight air-drying compounds for bedding tape, common product in US seems to be something like Sheetrock Joint Compound
- Lighter-weight air-drying compounds for coating, common product in US seems to be something like Sheetrock Plus3

Previously when I've done this sort of job, I used EasiFill 60 for everything. It seems pretty much every product I've seen on sale in the UK is setting-type with a maximum 90-min setting time. This isn't necessarily a problem although I'd be cleaning kit and mixing several times throughout the day.

Anyone taping & jointing experts out there who can recommend the product system they use?

Sponsored Links
Easyfill 20 if a small area?
Keep applying more when it's settling to build out.
When it's dry it's not great to skim over itself so avoid.

First mix fill joints.
When it's setting mix more and tape.
When it's setting mix more and skim

Now you come to mention it I do recall easifill doesn't go on great over itself when dry. I might try your idea!

Easyfill 20 if a small area?
Keep applying more when it's settling to build out.
When it's dry it's not great to skim over itself so avoid.

First mix fill joints.
When it's setting mix more and tape.
When it's setting mix more and skim

I seldom use easyfill, but your mention of applying a second coat before the first cures might explain why in the past, I have found pin holes when I have filled over dry easyfill

Sponsored Links
Yeah. That's what happens when you fill over a dried coat

OP,
Why not post a pic of the "plasterboard section" you intend to make good?
Its well possible to replace a piece of p/b with hardly any filling.

Happy to take a photo when I'm home but to describe it more clearly, there is one entire new sheet that needs to be joined to its neighbour and the ceiling, and a newly boarded alcove. I am considering just skimming the alcove as the area is probably within the limits of my relatively slow working speed, but it does join onto the existing wall on one side and I don't want to skim that entire wall as it is 5 metres long.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back