Jointing glue for plastic pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm fitting in a new sink which is all going ok. But the drain pipe running through the wall + down into the external drain is proving a bit of a pain.

I've got a basic 'L' shape to the run, with a 45 degree elbow on the corner. Trouble is i've got a bit of an incline running from the sink trap to the elbow, but then i've got the downpipe running at a slight angle aswell. It's a basic push fit elbow + i'm getting constant leaks b'cos of the angles of the pipework..........question is can you get some kind of 'dry hard' compound sealant i can use on the push fit elbow? I don't want to use a silicone sealant + i want it to last.

Cheers ;)

Sponsored Links
You're possibly using the wrong sized bend. There are two slightly different sizes of waste pipe (41mm OD and 43mm OD), both called 40mm! You can connect one to another with compression fittings rather than normal ring seals.

I would agree that you would be better to use the compression fittings as they will adjust for differing pipe sizes and accommodate some misallignment of the pipes.

The best known make is McAlpine.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Cheers for that, i'll get the adjustable compression elbow............but can you let me know if there is a dry hard sealing compound on the market for this type of scenario?

Most push-fit waste pipes are polyprop. The OD is smaller than the solvent-weld alternatives, that are uPVC or ABS.
Polyprop cannot be solvent-welded.
I have cured a leak in a push-fit system using a thick bead of silicone rubber, then wrapping it with toilet tissue and squeezing by hand to force it into the gaps. It worked, but nothing sticks to polyprop.
When I went back to do a proper job on the joint, I found that the mal-alignment had pushed the internal 'O' ring out of its groove.
Push-fit pipes must be chamfered on the OD to help them enter the 'O' ring smoothly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back