joist hanger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, Im new to builing hence have many stupid sounding questions to be asked. please accept my appologies in advance :)

Whats the best way to install a suspended timber floor in a extension. should spaces be left in the inner blockwork, or can the brick and block work be taken all the way up without leaving any spaces,

ive read that floor joist hangers can be used with out leaving spaces in the block work, is that true? and is it safe?

thanks

Sponsored Links
why hasnt sleeper wall/s been built for the suspended floor?

Assuming it's not a ground floor you are talking about so you can't have the sleeper wall option (which is best for the ground floor).
yes you can use joist hangers these ones for example- http://beta.screwfix.com/p/joist-hanger-50-x-175mm-pack-of-4/93485
but to be honest if you are putting the walls up why not put the joists in as you go up, cheaper than buying more hangers.
I've used these hangers myself but only when its not been possible to cut out a pocket for a joist and I've never had anything collapse. The only real disadvantage with these hangers is that they need to sit on a brick so the highs are governed by the positions of the brickwork joints, I've sometimes had to cut down the end of a joist in order for it to sit at the correct level.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back