Joist screws

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just wanted to ask….
My builder has used spax yellow pozi csk pz2 5.0x50mm screws for the joist hangers (1st floor ceiling/attick floor)

just wanted to ask if anyone else has used these screws for joist hangers and are they ok to use?

Sponsored Links
Into the joist √
Into Trimmer joist - wrapped over √; not wrapped over then 75 or longer 6mm
Into brickwork 75mm or 100mm 6mm

If they used nails into joist then those would be ~4x45/50/60mm ring nails.

Minimum of 75% of holes in hanger populated.

That what I do, use.

Usually the spec calls for square twisted nails and not screws although CSA screws are designed for hangers.

Generic wood screws are not suitable.

Would I need to take all these out and redo? The whole first floor has been done using the spax screws…..

Sponsored Links
Into the joist √
Into Trimmer joist - wrapped over √; not wrapped over then 75 or longer 6mm
Into brickwork 75mm or 100mm 6mm

If they used nails into joist then those would be ~4x45/50/60mm ring nails.

Minimum of 75% of holes in hanger populated.

That what I do, use.
Yes they go into the joist, i am so worried because the builder has completed the whole first floor. The joists will become the attick floor and ceiling of the first floor. The building inspector didnt bother asking what screws they were and said everything is fine.
All the holes in the hanger are populated

Attachments

• 1e1a402c-052b-429c-b258-c52f6d7d09a9.jpeg
    1e1a402c-052b-429c-b258-c52f6d7d09a9.jpeg
    197.8 KB · Views: 49
Yes they go into the joist, i am so worried because the builder has completed the whole first floor. The joists will become the attick floor and ceiling of the first floor. The building inspector didnt bother asking what screws they were and said everything is fine.
All the holes in the hanger are populated
And the BI let them off not wrapping the hangers over the top of the trimmer joist! I'd be questioning that approval failure.

The joist hangers will be wrapped over. Ive just rang the building inspector and he said these screws should be fine and there is so many of them that it shouldnt cause a problem…… what are your throughts? Should i leave or re do it all with different screws or nails?

These are the screws…..

Attachments

• 712875b8-a215-4018-bff3-d8083f306cda.jpeg
    712875b8-a215-4018-bff3-d8083f306cda.jpeg
    171.6 KB · Views: 42
Thing is that Spax screws are a 10x1/5 or 10x2 inch or at least mine are. If you remove those screws the nails will be thinner (I would think). I don't know about CSA screws are but whatever they are they would need to be the same thickness and length as the Spax screws or they could be loose in the holes in my, unprofessional, opinion. Personally if the building inspector says they are okay I would leave them.

Thing is that Spax screws are a 10x1/5 or 10x2 inch or at least mine are. If you remove those screws the nails will be thinner (I would think). I don't know about CSA screws are but whatever they are they would need to be the same thickness and length as the Spax screws or they could be loose in the holes in my, unprofessional, opinion. Personally if the building inspector says they are okay I would leave them.
Thankyou, i cant believe how stressful building work is. I am a single parent mother to 4 children, 2 have a disability so I just want things to be safe. Thanks for advice

Thankyou, i cant believe how stressful building work is. I am a single parent mother to 4 children, 2 have a disability so I just want things to be safe. Thanks for advice
Spax are high quality screws. I would not bat an eye. We always use the sheradised twisted nails, but would not scoff at Spax.

My parents house, loft conversion done in the 1970s by a respected local builder, hangers nailed with 3 x galvanised plasterboard nails (before they invented fancy plasterboard screws) per hanger - still standing and us kids gave it plenty of punishment over the years.

I was quite amazed when I pulled up the floor, but I had bigger fish to fry so just left them alone.

However, it's fairly basic to use those fat twist nails these days so I'd question where else he's cut corners.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back