Joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am taking out chipboard flooring upstairs in my house and replacing it with oak flooring.
I have discovered that in my toilet the flooring has been laid on suspended beams over a concrete base (Not sure how they have laid it?)

I want to take out the concrete and redo the ceiling below properly so I can put proper joists/beams in so it is like a traditional ceiling if that makes sense?

The size of the room is 2mtrs square so what would size beams would I need to use to span this size gap?

And what would be the best way to fix them to the walls either side?

Any help or advice would be gratefully received!

:D

Sponsored Links
are you saying this is a concrete floor at first floor? is it a fire break detail? 50 x 200 c16 would span 2.0m

Yes it a standard house in all aspects, 1st floor bedroooms, toilet, bathroom etc

No it isn't a fire break as it is above a downstairs toilet also, the rest of the house is traditional joists/ceilings, just this part.

What spacing would I need to see how many I would need across the 2 metres?

Why do you want to take out a perfectly good floor? Seems to me like you're making a lot of work for yourself.

Truth is, to span 2m, 50x125 at 400mm centres would be enough, bearing onto joist hangers, but wouldn't it make more sense to use the same timbers as have been used elsewhere in the house and keep the ceilings at the same level?

Sponsored Links
The floor isn't level and I'm putting in oak floorboards, yes I know I'm making work for myself!

The house was built circa 1800's and the joists are all different across the property, upstairs is across 3 different levels

Thanks for the measurements and timber sizes!
:D

you may find that if you use the 125 deep joists that they are a bit whipy in a bathroom especially if you intent to run services through them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back