Junction boxes on Kitchen ring.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to add a couple of appliances to my kitchen ring. Is it ok to put a 30amp j/b into the ring and run a single 2.5 t&e cable up to a fused switched spur and down again to a 13amp skt. i want to do this for a dishwasher and a washing machine. ie 2 separate j/bs and spurs. Many thanks for any help given.

Sponsored Links
Junction boxes MUST be accesible and are not a good idea. Instead of using junction boxes you could wire the FCU directly into the ring ( as you were going to wire the junction box ).

The problem you probably will have is the cables will need to be extended to allow for the connections into the FCU. You would have the same problem with a junction box.

You will have to perform the work to a safe and competant standard. It is work that if performed as a DIY project has to be notified to the local authority building control ( LABC ) and the cost of this may be more than employing an electrician who is able to self certify his or her work to the LABC's satisfaction.

thank you for your speedy response. The cables for the kitchen ring are in view under my base units and are long enough for me to reach and install a j/b, however i wanted to install the fcu as a flush unit as opposed to surface mounted and the wall where i wanted to put them is of breezeblock construction and not very thick, therefore i would not be able to use a very deep backbox without damaging my lounge wall (on the other side) which is why i wanted to run only 1 cable to the fcu and back down to a socket. when i looked at my other fcu's ( on a brick partition wall ) they looked very crowded with cables and the boxes were quite deep (about 11/2 ". Safty is my first consideration in this project and i would not want to break any Electical regulations. I thank you for your time and advice.

If you are intending to sink the boxes and bury cables in to wall, you will need at least 25mm back boxes to have your accessories flush.
The cables will need to be installed in permitted safe zones and RCD protection to this alteration will almost certainly be required.

Again as the location is in a kitchen the work is notifiable to building controls, prior to work starting if DIY or non-competent person doing work.
They charge a fee for applications, for example in my area it is £240, that's before charges for materials and labour. A registered electrician can self cert for much less.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:installation_techniques:walls

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your help on this. I had my consumer unit updated last year to RCD (he called it a split unit) (10 ways). I was going to install fcu about 200mm above my worktop and run cables straight down in wall to just under worktop and then run both cables down in plastic trunking , 1 to the socket and 1 to the j/b. My question is 'is it 'allowed and safe' to run a single 2.5 t&e cable to an fcu from a junction box on the kitchen ring to run a washing machine, also how many times can this be done on the same circuit as i would like the dishwasher installed in the same way.Many thanks for advice and links.

You can run as many FCUs from the ring final circuit as you require.
You want to be making sure you take the 13A FCU from the ring final circuit (RFC) though and not any spurred connections.
2.5mm T&E will carry a maximum of 27Amps safely, providing no other de-ratings are calculated, as the cable is going to be installed for a short distance within trunking there maybe a slight de-rating and Ref B may be a suitable de-rating, so that would reduce the capacity to 23A.
So safe enough on a 13A FCU.
But don't supply both appliances from the same 13A FCU, as this may cause an overload if both appliances are in use at the same time.

As far as cables jointed directly to the RFC, I would install cable to same size as the existing circuit.
As mentioned previously, JBs must be easily accessible, not only for installation purposes but for inspection/testing/fault finding and remedial work. So can not be buried or hidden.
The regulations will allow you to fit MF type junction boxes though.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ASJ803.html

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back