Junction boxes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wanted to fit a junction box to extend a ring main, and wondered if I can sink it into the wall and plaster over it? Anyone know, and if I can use a standard 30amp box to do it?
Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
it must be accessable. so no, it aint goin in the wall. if you want to plaster over it youll have to use crimps, with proper ratchet tool and salf amalgamating tape to insulate it

better still dont use either, pull cable back and into now socket and run new cable to all new sockets thaen back to old socket

Ah ah! Yes, a lot simpler - I can re-route one of the cables from the existing socket into the new one, and route the new return cable into the old socket. Seems so simple now!
For your piece of mind this will all get checked out by a real sparky before it goes live... I'm doing the donkey work.

Thanks a million for that. Also saved me buying junction boxes...

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Point of clarification - you don't bring the other end back into the same socket.

Suppose your old ring has 6 sockets, 1-2-3-4-5-6

You can interrupt the ring at for example 3, add new sockets A-B-C- then rejoin at old socket 4.

So instead of 3 and 4 being joined together directly, you enlarged ring now goes
1-2-3-A-B-C-4-5-6

Apologies if you already meant that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back