Just a quick question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have in my house a old sytle CU with fuse wrap around wire you change yourself.
there are 4 units cooker, sockets, lights, boiler.
there are also 2 extra mcb's one for shower and one for storage heating.

i had a quote today to replace the CU with rcd for shower and to sort all of the earths out that are a mess for £540 does this sound about right

the person has 16th edition electrics thing and he will test system after to make sure all is ok

does that sound a good price.

Sponsored Links
Ask if he is a member of a self-certification scheme (authorised to perform the test and issue the Completion Certificate) and which one. If not you would have to have it inspected by your local council at extra cost and inconvenience.

he said its cheap as there will be no cert and he said he has 16th edition which i can see b4 he does any work he comes recommended by a friend of mine who he has done work for.

all these new regs are confusing so am i right in saying that when i come to sell my house in the future i will have to have all mains tested anyway

mylittlehouse said:
he said its cheap as there will be no cert

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

"It will be cheap as I am not qualified to do this work and it will not be in conformance with legal requirements. It may or may not be properly tested."

Is that good value?

If you have uncertified work and have it inspected later, who will pay for any remedial work that is required (clue: Not me)

Sponsored Links
Just to clarify, mlh, regardless of the qualifications, experience and other credentials an Electrical Installation Certificate (EIC) must be issued for this work. in order to comply with the wiring regulations. If he, as he claims, 'has 16th edition' (which most take to mean he has passed City & Guilds 2381, a 4-day course) then he should know this.

For that money you should be employing a registered electrician and you should expect a full test of every circuit before reconnection, with the details recorded on the said EIC. This is also controlled work under the Building Regulations. If you don't notify you could be fined. At the very least you may end up paying for regularisation at a later stage.

There is no requirement (yet) to have your domestic services tested at sale. You will, however, be required to produce certificates for any work especially any notifiable work when you come to sell.

So, your choice. Get your 'no certs required' guy in, or have the job done properly.

He's a FCB (Bucking Feeky Chastad) to suggest this. If he claims registration to either the ECA or NIC (or indeed to any other trade body), please report him without delay.

Our industry could well do without his type.

i called him and told him in not going to bother

i have some proper company comming round to do me some quotes and if its costs more so be it.
just a bit worried about what it will flag up as my house is old and oh well has to be done for peice of mind i suppose.

so if someone is nic registered with part p should they be able to show me a cert to prove this before any work commences.

does the part P cert show i can trust these people and another question if i need to have some bits re-wired do i have to like lift the floor boards or do most electrianians do it as part of the job.

if they are a member of the niceic they will have a certificate off the nic that they can show you (we have one ) any floor lifting required will be allowed for in their price dont offer to do it for them not your job

all done
i had a part p niceic person come in and replace my CU and i got all of the certs was not even to expensive cheaper than the man who did not have part P ??/

Thanks everyone for your advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back