Just about to take out an old metal window frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to know how easy it is to replace an old downstairs metal framed window frame.

The dimensions to the brickwork are 570mm x 1320mm single top opening ( its a toilet )

Where can i buy the upvc frame with obscure glass and sill included.

How deep are the cills as i guess i deduct this off the window height

Is this an easy job to do ?

Sponsored Links
If it is a crittal window ,I think you will have to take the glass out as best as you can and cut the frame out wiyh a small angle grinder.
I'd suggest you have youre new double glazed unit ready to go in before you do this :LOL:
I would image that there is a small double glazing company in your area that will make up a one off window for you,I think they would want to measure the window size themselves ,Otherc than that give them the opening sizes and just ask for a window with a cill to fit that opening.
I am a bit concerned about youre last question ,because it is the same "old story" it is not hard to fit a double glazed unit once you have done one ,but it might be hard if it is the first one ,if you want to fix it yourself ask them to make the unit with the bottom piece of double glazing not placed in the unit as you will need to put 2 flisher fixings in each side of the window .Once you have done this put the glass in and then glazing beads .I have heard of companies fixing windows with expanding foam ,but I am not sure if this is good practise or not.
There are a couple of people on here that know the ins and outs of the double glazing world and will be able to fill you in with anything I have missed

Hi thanks for the info, i am fairly good on most DIY jobs but have not done a window frame before.

The frame will come out as i have managed to move it but i have put it back in place until i have purchased a new UPVC unit.

I guess i have to measure the brickwork opening and deduct 10mm ?

Do i also have to remove the timber on the inside that the aluminium frame was fixed to ?

This will leave me just a brick opening, do i have to set the cill in first on a bed of mortar ? or do i fit the cill on the frame and fit it in one go and just seal the edges with clear silicon after fixing it to the brickwork ?

The opening is 570mm x 1320mm and i need a two pane single top opening all with obscure glass

No intention of denting your enthusiasm but replacement windows come under BC; your supposed to use either a FENSA registered company to do the work & get a certificate of compliance or, if you DIY, get your local council to inspect your installation & supply one. It’s a pain but if you don’t get a certificate, you could have problems if & when you come to sell the house.

As far as fitting goes, it’s a small unit & shouldn’t cause any problems if you’re used to doing this sort of thing but most the smaller, local DG companies will only charge £40 - £60 to fit + you will get your certificate as well; the council will charge that for a single visit to inspect + with DIY, you’ve got the possible hassle of getting it wrong if you’ve not done this before!

Sponsored Links
I have been quoted £300 to supply and fit this window, does that sound about right ?

Well the actual quote is £360 fitted which seems very steep.

Do people fit them and forget to tell the Building Inspector ??

I can get a unit for £120 so it doesnt seem to bad to try it myself ?

Mister-big said:
Do people fit them and forget to tell the Building Inspector ??

As if they would :rolleyes:

If you had a wooden frame, you could easily pretend it was old, but the uPVC ones probably have date codes somewhere.

£360 does seem a bit steep, I would have said around £250 fitted, registered & guaranteed; get another couple of quotes but don’t forget you’re only buying one window so it tends to push the price up a bit.

If you ‘forget’ to tell the building inspector & don’t have FENSA registration, you won’t get arrested but may have problems selling your house without the paperwork!

£120 is rather cheap unless it’s one being offered from a wrong size order, sounds like it might be a cheap, DIY outlet window. Make sure it’s a 28mm unit & has low e glass (K glass or similar) or it wont comply with current regs. Like everything, you generally get what you pay for & yes they are date marked!

Richard C said:
£360 does seem a bit steep, I would have said around £250 fitted
Well, if you want plastic that needs replacing in two decades. I'd charge double those prices for oak but it wouldn't need replacing for two centuries, so works out cheaper eventually.

biffvernon said:
Well, if you want plastic that needs replacing in two decades. I'd charge double those prices for oak but it wouldn't need replacing for two centuries, so works out cheaper eventually.
Only if you live long enough & how many stay in the same property for 20 years or more!

Nothing wrong with oak windows (or steel for that matter) & they look beautiful on the right property in the right location. Its horses for courses & I’m just answering the posters question re UPVC & I’m not in the trade either! Fitting oak framed windows (one at that) is going to look rather odd if not completely out of place if the property doesn’t suit it!

Richard C said:
....................... how many stay in the same property for 20 years or more!?

Not having a dig at you Richard, but this view is the problem in the world of buildings. I don't think they should be looked at as a throwaway commodity. 20 years is NOTHING to a building, and to put in structural components with such a life expectancy is not very thoughtful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back