Just after a ball park figure before I attempt DIY!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to decorate my living room/dining room and I was just after a ballpark figure for what a decorator would charge. The rooms are 3.65m x 3.5m and 3m x 3m. The dividing wall was knocked down and shaped into an arch.

What I'm looking to do is :

- Put covings up along all 4 walls of both rooms (including 1 chimney breast).
- Put wallpaper up on chimney breast
- Line and paint the rest of the walls
- Paint the covings
- give the roof a lick of paint

Any ideas what sort of price range I'd be looking at?

I don't know whether or not to put covings up myself as I'm a novice DIYer and would rather someone experienced did the work, however if the price is too high I may have to just have a go!

Sponsored Links
Do the ceilings not need painting as well? (Or is that what you mean by 'roof'? The roof is outside, on top of your property). And please don't ask a professional to quote for applying 'a lick of paint'! We would either paint it properly or not paint it at all. Painting it properly means rubbing down if nec and applying two coats of good quality emulsion.

Skirting boards?

Window frames/sills?

Door frames/doors?

Do the ceilings not need painting as well? (Or is that what you mean by 'roof'? The roof is outside, on top of your property). And please don't ask a professional to quote for applying 'a lick of paint'! We would either paint it properly or not paint it at all. Painting it properly means rubbing down if nec and applying two coats of good quality emulsion.

Skirting boards?

Window frames/sills?

Door frames/doors?

Yes clearly I meant ceilings, was in a rush writing the original post... Surely that was obvious, not sure how I could possibly mean roof!

And I'm not sure why you seem to take offence at the terminology "a lick of paint" - I'm obviously asking for the ceilings to be rubbed down, painted with a couple of coats of quality paint, whatever is required...

Rob, you're on a hiding to nothing, you have asked just about the most annoying question that comes up on forums like this.
We decorators are happy to give free quotes, we do not pull figures out of thin air from a brief description, so do the proper thing and ask 3 guys or girls to come to your house and give you a quote. You will not have a ball park figure, you will have a precise one and the chance to choose the decorator who left you with a good impression and a fair price.

Sponsored Links
And I'm not sure why you seem to take offence at the terminology "a lick of paint" - I'm obviously asking for the ceilings to be rubbed down, painted with a couple of coats of quality paint, whatever is required...

Sorry, but it's not 'obvious' at all. It seems you don't mean 'a lick of paint' after all, but 'thorough preparation and painting of the ceiling'? So why not say so?

And you still haven't said whether you want the woodwork painting as well...

Piece of string job!

Coving went out with the ark. I'd suggest you ditch the lining paper, get it skimmed and painted. I'd be looking for around £700. If you were crazy enough to want coving later then add about £300. So all in all around a grand depending on what fittings are on the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back