COVING

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
Have decided to put 100mm coving up in a house i'm renovating.

My problem is the best way to overcome ceiling slants?

The front and back bedrooms have a slant down where the roof cuts into the room. (if that makes sense) So instead of me having a 90 degree angle on the wall/ceiling it's aprox 120 degrees. The other problem I have in these two rooms is the chimney breasts shoot off on one side, again leaving me with a 120 degree fixing angle.

To leave the chimney breast and one wall completely steers me to not coving at all in these two rooms as only just over half of the room would be done and I think it would look worse than not coving at all and i'm looking for improvement.

Any suggestions greatly recieved, Paul :confused: :confused:

Sponsored Links
You can fit the coving to the sloping side walls but if the joint of the wall where the ceiling meets is not 90° then the coving will not sit flush (it really needs a 90° corner to fix to) and you will end up filling the top and bottom edges which will usually look awful, as will the corner joints.

Taking coving around sloping chimney breasts is also next to impossible so the best way, I find, is to stop at the edge and cut a return piece. You can then paint the piece of the chimney without coving to match but this doesn't look very good either.

As you have a combination of both, then I would personally avoid fitting coving as it will probably detract from the room rather than enhancing it.

It is as I thought really, coving only half the room would look a bit silly and not enhance the room as you said.

Oh well less work to do! Look on the bright side eh!!

Coving went out years ago. Forget it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back