Just bought a Multimeter - Any good guides online?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Searched a bit now and most i seem to find are for the US market.

I have a Honeytek one which i just want to use to make sure when i change something that there is no power at all going to it.

Sponsored Links
I hope the leads at to GS38 this means they have bits to stop fingers slipping down to tip and are fused.

But for testing for dead you should use something where there is as little room for error as possible. Should not rely on a battery or have a range change switch if left in wrong position will stop it registering.

You should also have a means to prove the device still works.

In the main they have a row of little lights. Both LED and Neon are used but Neon take less current than LED so will not trip a RCD as easy.

Also unless using a set of GS38 leads a mistake with range set can cause ionisation of the atmosphere. In layman's terms one hell of a big bang and likely hood of burns

When my son started I got him a clip on ammeter with voltage and ohm ranges as with no amp range a lot less likely to make a mistake. I also use one.

IIRC most multimeters do have fuses so while there will initially be quite a big bang it will rapidly subside.

Sponsored Links
So the thing is pointless for household electrics then :)

What is the best tool just to test when changing a light fitting, socket that the power is not live? Yes the CU is always knocked off but you never know.

IIRC most multimeters do have fuses so while there will initially be quite a big bang it will rapidly subside.
most cheap multimeters from my experience have a fuse that is used on the low mA ranges (i think it sometimes/usually uses this when on voltage and resistance -cant remember not blown one in a while) but when on Amp it has a thick piece of resistance wire across the terminals so if you plug the leads in for reading amps then apply a voltage across the terminals there will indeed be a big bang and the possibility of worse.

Hightowermark, its only my opinion, but most "regulars" seem to forget where they are.

This is a DIY Forum, not a "trade counter" with a bunch of sparks talking amongst themselves.

Often they (and me sometimes) will ask a poster how they expect to do a job with no multi meter, and here you are asking for advice on how to use one, only to be told its not a lot of use (that is the way it reads, so far)

Even with an "aproved voltage tester" you still have to test it before use, so i can not see a multimeter fuse blowing in the time it takes you to go from a known live supply to a maybe live supply.

Yes you should consider changing the meter leads if too much is exposed, but i wonder how many have insulation tape on the "ends" of their test leads.

But back to the question.

have you read the manual that came with it?, then i suggest you try something simple like a small lamp (12v) and a battery, to see what and how you use your meter

Are we not obliged to give the correct advice ?

The OP says he wants his multimeter to check for isolation of a circuit.

Even though it is better than nothing, the correct advice is:-

A multimeter is not an approved voltage tester.

I am a householder and I use a Steinel voltage tester.

mine is quite an early one, I got it when I used to do electrical work, it was the first tester I saw with Zener diodes and LEDs to light up and auto-ranges from 6v to 415v, AC and DC, so you can use it round the house, on the car etc.

very little in it to go wrong, difficult to damage, and very easy to use, little learning required. it has finger guards and insulated probes up to the tips, but is not as good as the more complex expensive ones and has unfused leads (but it is also lighter and handier)

and if you want to measure ohms and amps, or precise voltages, you still need another meter.

edited: I see the "STEINEL 1129 VOLTCHECK 3" is available at about £12 and looks like it would do. Any comments on this as a DIY tool?

33427_150x100.jpg

Depends on the breaking capacity of the internal fuse and the PFC, if the PFC is too high then it may arc over.
Not all cheapy happy multimeters have fuses on the current range either.

To test when changing a light fitting socket that the power is not live, myself I'd use a neon screwdriver, but it does attract a lot of flack on this site !

To test when changing a light fitting socket that the power is not live, myself I'd use a neon screwdriver, but it does attract a lot of flack on this site !

ooooh, your looking to get flamed :D

Perhaps the OP might like to try here

A multimeter is not an approved voltage tester.
approved by who and for what? here we are talking about testing a circuit is dead before, for example changing a light fitting, or for testing which is a switch wire etc, not for testing a circuit meet BS.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back