Just six inches

Yes, 4 garages but only ONE fire - I read more about kitchen fires than I ever do about garage fires

Sponsored Links
Yes, 4 garages but only ONE fire - I read more about kitchen fires than I ever do about garage fires

ColJack, I have not said that there are never circumstances where if you killed someone who was a danger you would not get away with it.

But any such action will always be investigated, and my result in you being prosecuted.

You do NOT have the "right" to kill someone just because YOU deem it to be OK.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the diagrams Skenk - makes the situation even clearer.

Mikeyd, the cable is grey sheathed twin (no earth wire) as its to a light switch only

Sorry for the late reply. I see the shed hater has spoiled this thread for you. I actually don't know the best advice to give you regarding relocating your switch, given that the cable has no CPC (earth), but there are a lot of proper electricians on here who could probably advise.

My advice would be start another post and hope certain people don't comment.

actually I think I spoilt this one.. BAS made a good comment and I was in an argumentative mood.. I do so enjoy our little back and forth sometimes.. spirited debate if you will, but you're right it's nothing to do with the OP.. so sorry

however on saying that and reading back, it was the OP himself that took it off on a tangent talking about human rights to kill yourself..

I've already said that it's ok to do what he originally wanted to as the switches horizontal zone would intersect the conduit , and the conduit doesn't need to be in a zone..
but ideally moving the conduit is the best thing to do...

the lack of CPC is a seperate issue and can either be addressed by changing the cable ( and possibly the rest of it too ) for cable with a CPC, or by limiting the installation to class 2 fixtures and fittings.

Since you are knocking walls about it would be daft in this instance to put a non compliant cable in, you could as a minimum install a new conduit which will pull a new cable or you could replace the run from the light to the switch if you dont want to excavate deep into the wall to take a conduit. Best scenario is to have the lighting rewired once and for all (or at least as far into the future as we can see) in which case you will not be limited on what fixtures and fittings you can install on the circuit.

I've already said that it's ok to do what he originally wanted to as the switches horizontal zone would intersect the conduit , and the conduit doesn't need to be in a zone..
but ideally moving the conduit is the best thing to do...
I think that's a little dubious.

If I'm right, the conduit he's talking about is that old oval stuff with a slit down one side (it was just a strip of metal folded over). Think it's called slip conduit.

It's not the proper BS EN 61386, so once you move the switch, and therefore the zone, the cable installation no longer complies with 522.6.6.

Technically you didn't install the cable, so technically you aren't responsible for it, but..... :confused:

And apologies from me too for the off-topic stuff.

for those without "the big red book" and who want to follow along...

522.6.6 A cable concealed in a wall or partition at a depth of less than 50 mm from a surface of the wall or partition shall:

(i) incorporate an earthed metallic covering which complies with the requirements of these Regulations for a protective conductor of the circuit concerned, the cable complying with BS 5467, BS 6346, BS 6724, BS 7846, BS EN 60702-1 or BS 8436, or

(ii) be enclosed in earthed conduit complying with BS EN 61386 and satisfying the requirements or these Regulations for a protective conductor, or

(iii) be enclosed in earthed trunking or ducting complying with BS EN 50085 and satisfying the requirements or these Regulations for a protective conductor, or

(iv) be mechanically protected against damage sufficient to prevent penetration of the cable by nails, screws and the like, or

(v) be installed in a zone within 150 mm from the top of the wall or partition or within 150 mm of an angle formed by two adjoining walls or partitions. Where the cable is connected to a point, accessory or switchgear on any surface of the wall or partition, the cable may be installed in a zone either horizontally or vertically, to the point, accessory or switchgear. Where the location of the accessory, point or switchgear can be determined from the reverse side. a zone formed on one side of a wall of 100 mm thickness or less or partition of 100 mm thickness or less extends to the reverse side.

I'd count the conduit as complying with (iv) above..
but as I've already said moving it over is obviously the ideal solution, it's up to the OP how much hassle he wants to go to.

Actually, having had another look at the top of the conduit, its quite thick stuff with a rubber gaiter over the end (anti-chafe)?

Ah.

oval black enamelled metal conduit which is not earthed in any way
If I'm right, the conduit he's talking about is that old oval stuff with a slit down one side (it was just a strip of metal folded over). Think it's called slip conduit.

Not slip conduit then - you can bend (well, OK, fold) that stuff with your bare hands.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back