Just warm vertical radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a vaillant ecotec plus 615 fitted recently only for economy reasons. As the system ran well on the old classic balanced flue unit,this was a vented system.All good with new sealed system except the bathroom vertical rad (1800 x 200 12 tubes @ 25 o/d) will barely warm up. Shut every thing off and it heats up, bled it, open other rads and it stays cool. Both flow and return are hot at valves,lock shield wide open and TRV at max. It will warm accross the bottom and sometimes start warming up 3rd tube in and then a little at top at front, the back stays cold. It,s a micro bore system that was hot flushed ( not pressure) and mangaclean fitted,installers seem clueless,it think it,s restricted flow,any ideas. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is it a new vertical rad? Some of them have a deflector plate fitted, and if the rad has been fitted with this at the top then it'll give the resulys you describe.
Obtain the installation instructions, and read them.
You can also remove the rad, leaving the closed valves on the pipework, and look through it. As it's only 200mm wide a pice of wire will reveal if a deflector is fitted. If it's at the top, turn the rad over.

MM

Thanks, the rad is about 12 years old, system has always been well dosed with furnox and ran very well till boiler change usually set on 2.5 on stat. Interestingly the boiler installers said the system pressure needs to be over 2 bar for this type of rad to work, I just checked with boiler running and it,s 2.2 bar and rad is now just warm across base up one tube at back and warm across top down about a foot then cold.

Sponsored Links
Sorry forgot to add, only one tapping for bleed valve which is at top and two for bottom flow and return. Thhanks

So, was a power flush performed?
Are there any rads which belt out the heat? If so it may be just a balancing problem?
Is there an auto bypass valve, or ABV? This could be set too low.

No power flush,most seem to thinks it does,nt work well on micro bore can't get flow,they did a hot flush and fitted a magna clean. Not seen any abv so don,t think I have one. All the rads appear to be working as before. They mentioned balancing and did it. Thanks

I wonder if they have got the flow and return crossed, do you know which valve was the flow before the new boiler and is it still the same ?

Hi,,I take it you mean the flow and return at the boiler,I can,t say but I will check at the rad to see if the T R V heats up first at the moment I,m pretty sure it does. Is that what you meant? Thanks

He means the flow to the rail. Worth pulling floorboards up and checking if the flow/return are piped correctly.

Shut every thing off and it heats up, bled it, open other rads and it stays cool. Both flow and return are hot at valves,lock shield wide open and TRV at max.

Thanks

How can both valves be hot if the rad is not?

Tony

Only changes to pipe work since rad worked fine is in garage to boiler and in airing cupboard to connect mains pressure fill point,also pump removed as one now in boiler.
Re both valves getting hot, first one together hot is at TRV then return side but not as hot as some water is circulating just not enough to heat up rad as before,very sluggish,what heat there is seems to go up the two centre tubes,heat the top a bit. I would have thought it would shoot up the tubes nearest the TRV to top and cascade down to return like all rads do. Thanks

Sorted!!! All about balance nothing to do with vertical rad or pressures,contractors said they balanced system yesterday, my backside did they,did nothing but give me a load of ........!!! Thanks to all for helpful comments much appreciated!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back