Kangoo intermitt starting problem? HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Renault Kangoo
1400 petrol year 1999
Always started first time, now intermitent, sometimes starts first go - sometimes takes 3 or 4 goes, but always turns over, just does not start!
When it doen't start there is no spark at plugs (fitted new spark plugs no difference), any body any ideas? Once started it runs perfect. :!:

Sponsored Links
No spark=coil(s) not working...in modern vehicles, there is more than one coil per bank, so what could cause all of them to fail?

ECU, is robust, so not that.

I had similar problems
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=230110
but hopefully yours isn't for such an obscure reason.

I believe your Kangoo is fitted with the earlier system with 'four coils in one block' coil pack, rather than the individual 'pencil' coils I now have a spare set of.

Intermittent failures of the coil pack, or failing insulation in the plug leads is far from unknown.

Another Renault favourite is the crank position sensor getting bunged up with crud. Just cleaning that often cures starting problems.

Another possibility may be the immobiliser - if it isn't recognising the chip in the ignition key, it will not energise the ignition system, even though turning the key operates the starter motor. To try to eliminate that, does it behave the same with both ignition keys?

Sponsored Links
Another possibility, as I came across it recently, and it reminded me of a certain issue on Jap cars (I know yours is French); is that at 10 years, the battery, on most Jap cars, fails, at that age, and causes all sorts of weird issues, even though the car usually starts fine, some instruments fail, or the ecu gets locked out, of the electric windows don't work, until the next restart, when various other random issues occur.

So a cheap (free), and easy test is to get the battery tested, maybe take the battery off and give a clean charge, nothing to lose, by testing it, and as the test is free..

Back