Keep or Remove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had our 3 phase distribution board change a few months ago from a 18 way cartridge fuse type board to a 24 way mcb board. There was no main isolator on the old boars but it had a 100a mem switch fuse mounted under it that presumably provided the isolation. .

The new board does however have a 125a isolator so wanted to know if I could get the mem switch fuse removed as it's taking up space. Or is it still required.

The supply to the switch fuse comes from tails connected to the service head less than half a meter away.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes, assuming the head us a standard 100amp type, ie, not larger than your 125amp incomer.

Why is a switch fuse required? How far away is the consumer unit from the switch/fuse? A picture or two might help.

The switch fuse was more than likely bushed to the bottom of the old fusebox. That's how they used to be fitted.

Sponsored Links
He said that
The supply to the switch fuse comes from tails connected to the service head less than half a meter away.
But the dist board may be many meters away from that. Need more info, me thinks..
I suppose it could be 'many metres away', if the room were many meters high (and the board many metres from floor level), but that all seems pretty unlikely! ... the OP said:
...There was no main isolator on the old boars but it had a 100a mem switch fuse mounted under it that presumably provided the isolation.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for all your replies. the switch fuse was bushed to the bottom of the old board and has fuse wire in it. the service head is less than half a meter to the side of the DB.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back