keeping an old Vulcan back boiler going (pilot problem)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone familiar with keeping an old style gas back boiler going?
Where to find a spare part on a discontinued model.

Its an Vulcan Verona and its been running fine but in the past 6 weeks the pilot light has gone out twice and wont re-ignite.

The first heating engineer got the pilot lit and its been fine for a month but has gone out again.

The 2nd engineer came round and couldnt get it lit and fitted a new thermocouple, but the pilot light will still not light.

He now thinks it needs a new gas valve which is a part thats no longer available.
Anyone know where could we find one?

The boiler is going to be replaced later this when we do some building work year but we really need to keep it going for the next 6 months and stuck if we cant get it working through the rest of this winter

Sponsored Links
These boilers are from the early 70's ? and i doubt you will find any spares except thermocouplers so time for a new boiler me thinks.

It seems most unlikely that a new gas valve is needed.

Why did you choose a different engineer to come?

Were either older?

Many of the younger people have little experience of older boilers with pilot lights!

Whats you postcode in case anyone here is nearby?

Tony

thank you for the replies we are in Guildford GU4.

The first engineer was already working there fitting us a new bathroom so he was able to light the pilot when it went out 5 weeks ago.

the 2nd engineer was called out just to come and get it lit, he's not that old but was happy to give it a try.

Frustrating thing is will be knocking walls down and fitting a whole new system in 6 months but for now just trying to the old one going.
If we have to put a new boiler in now it will have to get moved again when the building work starts.

Sponsored Links
Lighting it should be an easy user function.

It sounds as if its never been properly serviced and obviously its not lighting easily or staying lit.

It is probably something fairly simple like cleaning/adjustment which is needed but often only older engineers who were brought up when all boilers had pilot lights 20 years ago seem much good with them.

Pilots use too much gas and are wasteful so no longer used.

Tony

Can you get the pilot to light but then it goes out when you release the button?
It could be just a loose thermocoupler but i doubt two engineers would miss this.
Does this boiler have a heavy metal frame behind the fire with restraining wires that hold the fire on ?

Does the gas valve have a red and white buttons ?

Can you get the pilot to light but then it goes out when you release the button?
It could be just a loose thermocoupler but i doubt two engineers would miss this.
Does this boiler have a heavy metal frame behind the fire with restraining wires that hold the fire on ?

thanks for replies.
pilot would not light with new thermo-c.

this boiler does not have restraining wires holding the fire on, its got two screws at the top and its integral to the base.

Also

Does the gas valve have a red and white buttons ?

No, its got two grey square buttons one for start and one for off.

can you put a picture of gas valve please as maybe avialable or even just the power pack for it , cant be far off 30 years since i seen my last verona

Gas valves, t/c's and powerpacks?

Reading the OP, he can'tget the pilot alight initially, so it is more likely ablocked pilot injector - or even a "no spark" .

OP: Has anyone tried tolight with the front off? (I'm not recommending YOU try) Can you get the pilot alight initially?

I agree!

It seems very unlikely that its any problem with the gas valve! Far more likely a simple problem at the pilot light end.

Only once have I ever needed to replace a GV because of a faulty magnetovalve.

Tony

Gas valves going is quite common its just you do not do a lot of jobs agile or been in the industry particularly long which is why they made the power packs separate for some valves.

This could be a case of how OP has describe fault as in cannot get pilot on means it lights but does not stay on

thanks replies anyone local to Guildford can assist?

boilerpic2.jpg

boilerpic1a.jpg

boilerpic4.jpg

boilerpic3.jpg

Gas valves, t/c's and powerpacks?

Reading the OP, he can'tget the pilot alight initially, so it is more likely ablocked pilot injector - or even a "no spark" .

OP: Has anyone tried tolight with the front off? (I'm not recommending YOU try) Can you get the pilot alight initially?

It wont light of its own spark, put a new thermo-couple in but does not appear to get any heat and pilot will not ignite.

Using a blow torch to heat the old thermocouple up it would light and stay on fine, boiler operated fine after that for over a month.

There is 2 power packs available for newer honeywell valves that may do this predecessor to the red and white button valve . Used to change them on this valve but whether one of the newer ones for the 4400c gas valve would a bit of a chance

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back