Keeping DHW on when removing rads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I need to remove 9 rads for plastering and decorating. They will be removed for a few weeks. 3 towel rads will remain on.

I understand that I need to leave the CH system pressurised on the (oil) combi in order to keep the hot water on. I'm okay with shutting the lockshield off (and keeping a count of the number of turns) and turning the TRV off to zero setting.

My question is, will the Honeywell TRV stay off when set to zero or do I need 9 of these?
https://www.screwfix.com/p/blank-nut-x/51939

I've removed rads before at a previous house - just never had 9 off at once for a period of weeks while the plastering and painting is done.

Much appreciated if you can show me the way. Thanks. :)

Attachments

• TRV.png
    TRV.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 201
Sponsored Links
You should never trust a TRV to remain closed. The cost of the caps are under a tenner for your job.

Thanks Pete. I'll take that advice. Best wishes - Doc M.

Sponsored Links
Just to conclude this thread.

Rads removed, TRVs capped with these: https://www.screwfix.com/p/blank-nut-x/51939

One of the TRVs was leaking a little when the rad was removed - but capped off and all is good.

Managed to sheer off one of the air vents off the rad (the squared end) with the bleed key - but it appears that replacements can be ordered.

Pressure dropped to below one bar. Re-pressurised via filling loop and now all is good. Rads are off and hot water is working fine.

I will need to be careful that I don't bosh the 10 mm microbore when I refit the rads!

Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back