Keeping wall up temporarily after beam installation

We asked building control what they thought today whilst they was on site. They estimated 4 props, my builders estimated 5-6 props.

We told him the SE estimated 24 props, and they were :eek:

Kinda shows huh?

Sponsored Links
Anyone can estimate. Are they going to insure it too?

Are building control inspectors builders, or even qualified in structural matters? You'd be surprised.

Anyone can estimate. Are they going to insure it too?

Are building control inspectors builders, or even qualified in structural matters? You'd be surprised.

true, but surely practical experience would count towards the success of the job more so than a high paid guy in an ivory tower?

understandably when "**** does hit the fan", I'm screwed anyway as all parties are going to find a way to remove their liability in this situation...

Sponsored Links
It was a comventional cavity wall; the inner skin was held up by the floor joists, which in turn were held up by a plank and couple of props.
BTW, I think your engineer lacks confidence

Tony, are you sitting the steel on a padstone with a 100mm bearing? What size UB is that?

Compared to my setup, im trying to think why I have been given a goal post frame. My beams are twin 300x90x41 PFCs. Interestingly my builders have highlighted they have done bigger openings with UBs setting on pads. My 1930s solid brick walls should make it even easier to bear the load. Though when challenged the SE with the suggestion, I’m told I would need a 800mm solid brick wall to hold this load...

my builders have highlighted they have done bigger openings with UBs setting on pads.
It's not just the size of the opening. Its also what's left either side, as your se pointed out. The builder is not an SE so maybe they don't know all the ways your house could collapse.
challenged the SE with the suggestion, I’m told I would need a 800mm solid brick wall
A brick wall won't fall over length/side ways. Neither will a goal post. A brick wall facing the other way might if there's no other stability.

Right guys, the beam is finally in and brickwork added between the beam and the rest of the house.

Glad to say the house didn’t fall down!

5 props on strong boys on the outside. 3 props holding up the ceiling joists on the inside.

Strong boys and props up in day 1, walls out, steels in, and packing in day 2. Day 3 fill in the remainder of the packing.

It took 4 guys (including myself) and 2 genie lifts. Hardest part was wall removal. We lifted the first beam in first, got it into position, then lowered the genie and got the 2nd beam in.

Surprisingly I have not seen any house movement or unexpected cracks forming when the house was only supported on props. I guess combination of a joining internal wall, a concrete lintel under the the Windows etc and the props all helped to keep the building secure.

Glad to say, the monsters are in and we can see light at the end of the tunnel.

Attachments

• 2DBCB202-EE41-4BEB-AF52-A998A8255079.jpeg
    2DBCB202-EE41-4BEB-AF52-A998A8255079.jpeg
    469.7 KB · Views: 87
  • C0934691-2456-4535-97C9-4B1936137540.jpeg
    C0934691-2456-4535-97C9-4B1936137540.jpeg
    457.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 33BEFCA4-61BC-48AD-AF3B-6D79A133C68C.jpeg
    33BEFCA4-61BC-48AD-AF3B-6D79A133C68C.jpeg
    390.8 KB · Views: 86

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back