keston celcius 25 cutting out...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys,

Im new to the forum so , first up before i start...HEY!

My keston celcius 25 boiler has been giving me problems recently...1st it had an ignition problem and gave me the read out on the diagnostic of of...Ignition failure. The boiler has tried five
times to fire and has not suceeded.
Possible spark gap, gas pressure,
flue/air blockage, condensate trap
blocked, faulty ignitor or faulty ignition
pcb.

now im not getting this problem anymore, it seemed to have fixed itself, but now the boiler will run for about 15 mins on full power then cut off....if i turn down the knob it will run on with one light throughout the entire 1hr advance (out of 4) but it refuses to run on full power for more than 15 mins. when it cuts out the power light stays on which says in the manual "If the user control
knob is set to a temperature greater than the boiler flow temperature the green mains
LED will be lit continuously." meaning what?? One more thing to mention, the flow pipe coming off the boiler has a hand screw top valve about 7 inches below it, then leading off the other side of the valve there is a pipe which leads to the return pipe to the boiler? This has been adjusted, how should it be set?

thanx guys!!

:)

Sponsored Links
you need an rgi to open it and have a look see. it could easily be any and all of thouse faults depending on its service history.

check the condensate trap inside the boiler isn't full of gunge.you would be surprised how much muck will have built up in just 12 months.it can lead to faults such as yours.

Sponsored Links
condensate trap is fine, i disconnected the pipe from the heat exchanger which leads to the trap, and poured water into the pipe and its all draining off smoothly....

the valve between flow and return is the bypass this should be an automatic bypass if it is only a year old, are your rads getting up to temp before boiler shuts off

ok, but i dont think it is automatic, you can turn it but i can hear a spring inside it when it is turned. yes they do then it cuts out, and the rads slowly loose heat...

its a yr old....

should have a couple of years left in it yet then :LOL:

In reality it is old stock which was presumably(hopefully) flogged cheap?. I think they stopped making the C25 in 2007 soon after they were bought out. Who recommended you have one!?!?

I think you will find that most on here have a very justifiable low opinion of the c25. I know of one that has had almost every part replaced at huge cost to the owner. They wish they had not thrown good money after bad and just taken it out when the internal flue hose split :cry: They are also very happy to have an immersion heater and a few fan heaters!

check the condensate trap inside the boiler isn't full of gunge.you would be surprised how much muck will have built up in just 12 months.it can lead to faults such as yours.

Are you quite sure that he is safe to do that?

Dont forget he is not CORGI registered!

He probably thinks that plumbers repair boilers and they are pretty dim because they left school at 14 and went into plumbing because it was the only job open for anyone who was too thick to get any "O" levels. So if they can do it then he will certainly be able to do itl!

Tony

thanks for that support, I am very well educated with elecronics & engineering so i am more than capable if i could locate the problem. Yes my exhaust flue hose has split too but ive sorted that. no one told me to buy one, it came with the flat. i know they have a reputation, but back to the fault in question does anyone have an idea about the fault in question?

thanks

As you said in your first post:-

"""Possible spark gap, gas pressure,
flue/air blockage, condensate trap
blocked, faulty ignitor or faulty ignition
pcb."""

Whilst I expect you can possibly deal with some of any of these I am not going to give you detailed advice because that would be inappropriate for someone who is not CORGI registered.

Even putting that to one side, surely with your electronics knowledge you can deal with all those apart from the gas and flue issues?

Tony

thanks for your reply Tony, Yes thats right but sinse the boiler is acting in an erratic way and the list of diagnostic readouts are not showing up anymore is very puzzleing. The ignition sequence has changed somewhat and the tone of the sparking sound has changed so this could be something wrong with the spark probe?? I dont think it could be the gas pressure because it is set by keston and they say it rarely needs to be adjusted. But another significant find is that when the boiler shuts itself down the power light stays on, which means the user control
knob is set to a temperature greater than the boiler flow temperature. But it used to run constantly on full power so now i have to turn it to it lowest setting to keep it running thus taking much more time to heat the house......

Faults reported which are not the case:

Ignition PCB = Checked and working (electricity flowing to probe)

Flue isnt the problem

Gas pressure im pretty sure is ok

Condensate trap not blocked

Im lost :(

Please help Tony some advice would be good to point me in the right direction..

thanks for that support, I am very well educated with elecronics & engineering so i am more than capable if i could locate the problem.

thanks

tbh anyone that can do mecanno could fix it if you located the fault for them. being well educated in a different field is a recipe for disaster. get some one that knows these boilers before you hurt youserlf or someone else. these boilers are very good at working in a dangerous state.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back