Kettles

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I have had four Morphy-Richards kettles over the last 25 months. I only paid for the first one, the others were all replacements under guarantee. The last one has now started leaking and the lid hinges are broken same as all the others, so I obviously won't be buying another Morphy Richards.

I wonder what others people have been happy with? I like a brushed stainless finish, and I particularly like being able to open the lid with my thumb on the hand I am holding the kettle with, rather than having to use two hands.

Sponsored Links
I have had four Morphy-Richards kettles over the last 25 months. .

The same here! :( You obviously get yours from Argos too.

Morphy Richards are poor quality for everything IMHO and you should look elsewhere.

Sign of the times nowadays John, nothing is made to last. When i was a kid, :rolleyes: things seemed to last forever,, and it was all "British made" too.

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I have a tesco £4.99 jobby, at least tree times that I can remember it was switched on whilst empty, the element got so hot the whole kettle glowed orange.
Its still plodding on and boiling water.

I like the idea of the retro whistling kettle, younger viewers might not recall it..brewing tea in a pot, before transferring it to the cup via a filter..

And getting bits of scum in the bottom of the cup urgh!

I found an automatic coffee machine, really good at making tea, pop a teabag in the part where the ground coffee should go....

Tea isn't what it used to be.

My mates got a bosch one that only boils enough water for one cup. ie: put cup under the spout, press the button and a few seconds later the cup is filled with boiling water.
Obviously no good if you want to make a pot of tea, or go outside and murder flying ants.

Bought stainless morphey - died after a month, replacement died. Gave up and bought a supermarket kettle for a tenner. Been going three years so far.

It amazes me that people can design a bad kettle. It's a kettle, ffs! Probably the simplest electrical good you can have and has been a staple in british homes for almost half a century. The perfect kettle should be taken for granted.

Bought stainless morphey - died after a month, replacement died. Gave up and bought a supermarket kettle for a tenner. Been going three years so far.

It amazes me that people can design a bad kettle. It's a kettle, ffs! Probably the simplest electrical good you can have and has been a staple in british homes for almost half a century. The perfect kettle should be taken for granted.

yeah but after a huge storm you wake up on an island, with no one else around.... could you make a kettle? i doubt it !!

ASDA, £3.99 two years ago and still going strong.
Funnily it looks very similar to a model MR sell for a much higher price. :eek:

Saw a legitimate 'kettling' once.
A troublemaker, regretfully, died from natural causes afterwards.

Does that count..???

Had the same experience with MR kettles, they all started leaking/got replaced under warranty but i gave up in the end and bought a cheapy one. Recently i bought a new Phillips one as i saw the same one at a friends and i have to say im really impressed, it boils so much quicker and the cup measurements easily fills a standard sized mug. The build quality is also good too, feels very robust and built to last, time will tell obviously!

http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Kettles-Wa...c:|prd:HD4656/22|cat:_Kettles_&_Water_Filters

In case you wondered the cheapy kettle is still going strong, i gave it to my gran as hers broke down a few days after i bought my new one.

I have a tesco £4.99 jobby, at least tree times that I can remember it was switched on whilst empty, the element got so hot the whole kettle glowed orange.
Its still plodding on and boiling water.

We too bought a Tesco kettle when we arrived on holiday once and decided there was no way we'd be boiling water for our 5month old son's bottles in the kettle we'd be provided with in the accommodation - it was probably ok, but didn't look nice inside... Anyway, he's nearly 6 now and the £4.99 kettle goes on with no problems whatsoever.

We've got a 'Phillips' kettle here at work which boils water for at least 20 cuppas a day and they were using that same kettle here when I started 10 years ago.

Sponsored Links
Back