Kettles

We go through kettles so fast I have taken to writing the date of purchase and from whom on the bottom for reference. Present one is getting dangerously close to 6 months so it's looking like a record.

I did wonder if it's the descaler I use but that shouldn't break the on/off button and hearing of others here it's patently a quality issue.

Sponsored Links
I have had four Morphy-Richards kettles over the last 25 months. I only paid for the first one, the others were all replacements under guarantee. The last one has now started leaking and the lid hinges are broken same as all the others, so I obviously won't be buying another Morphy Richards.

I wonder what others people have been happy with? I like a brushed stainless finish, and I particularly like being able to open the lid with my thumb on the hand I am holding the kettle with, rather than having to use two hands.

John why do you need to buy again? get another freebie?

A kettle doesn't need a lid, i use gas now,with a whistle, fill through the spout

I have had four Morphy-Richards kettles over the last 25 months. I only paid for the first one, the others were all replacements under guarantee. The last one has now started leaking and the lid hinges are broken same as all the others, so I obviously won't be buying another Morphy Richards.

I wonder what others people have been happy with? I like a brushed stainless finish, and I particularly like being able to open the lid with my thumb on the hand I am holding the kettle with, rather than having to use two hands.

John why do you need to buy again? get another freebie?

A kettle doesn't need a lid, i use gas now,with a whistle, fill through the spout

Weren't they the best Libby? But hard to clean? Have to admit that supermarket kettles are very poor quality, tiny, plastic on/off switches, lids that close when tipped to fill, or too tall to fit in the sink to be filled fully, if needed, and the cordless bit, where the plug socket is on the left, but the lead comes from the right of the base, and the lead is too short, so the kettle is at an angle, so you get burnt, while trying to grab the handle. And a dripping spout, annoying, you would have thought that was foremost in the designers mind..modern kettles don't seem to get the water as hot, ye olde kettles, you had to leave a brew for 20 minutes, before passable by the lips.

Sponsored Links
How many of you simply reuse the existing water from the day before and don't empty/refill when putting on a brew from cold?

That annoys me, as does being given a cup of tea that's got limescale in the bottom because some folk don't bother to rinse the thing out from time to time. :mad:

Nowadays you have to leave the tea bag in the cup to get a proper cuppa.
Hands up those who fill the kettle rather than guestimate and try to boil just the right amount?

How many of you simply reuse the existing water from the day before and don't empty/refill when putting on a brew from cold?

That annoys me, as does being given a cup of tea that's got limescale in the bottom because some folk don't bother to rinse the thing out from time to time. :mad:

You have a point there actually, I use an anti limescale tablet in the kettle every now and again, but hard water isn't an issue up North, it must be a nightmare, where traditionally down South, is renowned for hard water, and therefore limescale. Urgh!

My parents live 5 miles away, and the water from the tap tastes awful, mine is OK, so if I was down South, I'd definately use a water filtration device, but would that counteract limescale?

Not really a filtration system. The whole Eeast of England is descr4ibed as a ''very hard'' area.
There are ways to remove lime scale and it can range from a radio jobby that wraps wires around the incoming mains for less than 50 quid to as much as you want to spend or can afford to spend.

Not really a filtration system. The whole Eeast of England is descr4ibed as a ''very hard'' area.
There are ways to remove lime scale and it can range from a radio jobby that wraps wires around the incoming mains for less than 50 quid to as much as you want to spend or can afford to spend.

Call me stoopid, but if the water company installed a system to remove limescale at source (pumping stations), then the many millions of consumers, wouldn't have to replace broken washing machines, kettles, boilers etc, every year...

I'm presuming the lime comes from the reservoirs, due to the chalky nature of the geographical location, and not the lime from the pipework to deliver to the customers..

Which stinks of a conspiricy, you get water that breaks stuff, and for a cut, we get the profits from people replacing stuff broken by our water supply!

If you can get rid of, or cut down on limescale locally, why can't 'THEY' do it, at source?

Why do you pay the same water rates as me? When I know my stuff won't suffer from limescale damage, due to hard and soft water?

Sponsored Links
Back