Kingspan between loft joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to use 100mm Kingspan to achieve the max u value without having to increase joist depth. Is there an issue with the foil covering in contact with electric cables? Advice please.
2Sheds

Sponsored Links
There is an issue with insulation covering cables!!

Try to bring cables out of the "bays" and clip the cables out of the way of insulation as much as you can.

Thanks for your reply securespark. What I was worried about was all that metal foil that could become live if there was a fault in the electrical insulation etc. I thought there might be some regulation that covered this. Or is this only considered a problem in bathrooms etc?

Well, foil backed plasterboard is used extensively, and that could also present a problem in contact with live conductors. In fact, I've seen a situation where a faulty bathroom light fitting has made almost an entire ceiling live, but this scenario is possible anywhere in the home: a fault making pipework live, etc...

Yeah, there is a regulation covering this in a round-about sort of way - All you can do is to install the cables so that as far as you can possibly ensure, they will not be subject to damage in any kind of way.

Sponsored Links
I will keep the foil away from the lighting points and do as you suggest. Thanks again.

It goes without saying that if you have recessed lighting, you should leave a space around the fittings that is clear of insulation, otherwise there is a fire risk.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back