Kingspan / Celotex under screed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am building a single storey sun room at the back of my house. Because of the soil it is built on a raft foundation. We have laid the sub floor 8m2 of concrete and mountains of steel.

For the insulation between the top screed and sub floor is it worth the extra money using Kingspan / Celotex instead of polystyrene.

The insulation will be about 60 to 70mm
Kingspan will cost £200, cheapo stuff is about half.

We will have carpet in the room.

Sponsored Links
Polystyrene is crap, that's why its cheap. You would need about twice the thickness to archive the same resistance. You could have gone the poly route if you used twice the thickness and had thought about the thickness before you poured the slab.

Depends what you mean by 'sun room' and what you expect it to do.
I wouldn't use a sun room in the winter when there's no sun, too cold! So if this really is just for warmer weather use then the poly will suffice.

I am in the process of converting my garage into an additional room. I used 100mm PIR insulation under the screed. I found Encon the cheapest supplier. They were cheaper even than online companies selling 'cheap' seconds. I believe they were £25 p 100mm sheet compared with £35-£40 everywhere else I tried.
http://www.encon.co.uk/branches

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't use Poly insulation: it is about 5 times less effective and only half the price ... It should be 5 times cheaper than PIR!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back