Kingspan Kooltherm K17 - Any experience?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a related thread in another Forum section, but need to ask a more specific question here.

I have taken down a (tiled) plasterboard wall in a bathroom that was dot/dabbed onto an external wall (two leaf cavity, inner wall medium/lightweight blocks - the ones you can saw through) Cavity retro filled with rockwool a couple of years back.

I don't have enough space in this bathroom to stud the exterior wall and insulate before plasterboarding, but I wanted to do something rather than just re- dot/dab 12.5mm plasterboard. I came across Kingspan K17 Kooltherm, which is a 12.5mm plasterboard bonded directly to rigid insulation. The insulation backer comes in various sizes and the whole board can be dot/dabbed to blockwork.

Does anyone have experience of this product? I was going to go for the lowest thickness (space) of 20mm insulation bonded to 12.5mm plasterboard.

The decor will be tiles @ 16k kg sq M in weight.

If anyone can offer alternatives i'd be grateful. :idea:
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm only an inexperienced DIYer so not really qualified to give out advice, but I recently used a similar product, Gyproc ThermaLine plus, on a couple of small walls where studwork wasn't practical. I was dubious about only fixing with adhesive though, probably wasn't necessary but I ended up fixing with a few screws as well as adhesive just to be sure the plasterboard wouldn't come away from the insulation. All plastered and ready to decorate now, so far so good- the room feels cosier already.

I think I was definitely being a bit overcautious by fixing with screws, but with tiles on I'd be wanting to mechanically fix it if possible. I'm sure someone with a lot more knowledge than me will come on and say I'm talking rubbish though and that you'll be fine to just dot and dab.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back