Kingspan over existing plaster

That is what I meant, in that is there a sheet of something needed, from what I am reading what is being said then the answer is no if the insulation is foil backed (is this correct?).

Seems I have a similar situation to the OP and I want to insulate a spare room external wall, skimmed a few years back with a window in it.

I am reading to add battens, put foil backed insulation into the gaps then cover with insulated plasterboard 50-100mm thick.
Around the window frame insulate any gaps and I have space to add insulation then new window linings (20" deep window).

I am reading the kingspan leaflet, very useful.

Sponsored Links
I notice when you did this you have big gaps around the insulation, would it have been better for it to but upto the battens?
I suspect that these were offcuts you had?

That is what I meant, in that is there a sheet of something needed, from what I am reading what is being said then the answer is no
Does depend on your wall build up.. For example..
I am reading to add battens, put foil backed insulation into the gaps then cover with insulated plasterboard 50-100mm thick.
..if you use insulation backed plasterboard it's more of a struggle to have it form a vapour barrier than to use separate foil faced insulation taped together and then plasterboard applied over the top. In your proposed buildup I probably would use a visqueen sheet behind the insulation backed plasterboard. If youre putting foil faced insulation between the battens, you could do as some do and tape it up so that the tape spans the batten from one sheet to the next.
Around the window frame insulate any gaps and I have space to add insulation then new window linings (20" deep window).
If you want maximum potential for insulating around a window, cut the reveal larger to provide space to fit insulation in while keeping the window frame the same

I notice when you did this you have big gaps around the insulation, would it have been better for it to but upto the battens?
I suspect that these were offcuts you had?
There were no gaps as I did not put any insulation in the spaces

Sponsored Links
I got the impression the concern was security of the plaster (painted too?) and its ability to hold adhered plasterboard

Glueing to solid wall without a cavity is inadvisable unless there is external render , you run the risk of penetrating damp affecting the glue, and the boards will detach

Glueing to solid wall without a cavity is inadvisable unless there is external render , you run the risk of penetrating damp affecting the glue, and the boards will detach
Got to be pretty dumb to fix anything to walls with penetrating damp .Glue is moisture resistance so highly unlikely to detach .

Got to be pretty dumb to fix anything to walls with penetrating damp .Glue is moisture resistance so highly unlikely to detach .
The glue yes but the stuff it's stuck to will slowly deteriorate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back