kitchen appliances

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am having a new kitchen fitted and the electrician has said to me that with all my white goods i will need a fused spur for all of them and that also they have to next to the plugs above the counter tops??? i am not happy with this as im gonna have sockets all over the place making the kitchen look odd and why all of a sudden have i got to have all these fused spurs as before in my old kithen i just plugged them straight into the wall sockets behind the appliance.... any advise please

Sponsored Links
because you need to isolate them incase of emergency. You have no access to isolate them with your current set-up and doesnt comply with the wiring regs.

White goods is rather a broad name. Some items like washing machines can fail in a way which would not allow you to get near them to switch off (if weights become lose) so if you can't unplug without removing the washer first then fitting a switch which is accessible makes a lot of sense.

The norm is to use a grid switch above the counter which powers a series of sockets below the counter which are used by washing machine etc. And normally the switches will be pre-labelled Washer, Fridge etc. The same unit can also take fuses but not normal to fuse as well normally the fuse in plug is relied on.

537.2.2.6 Each device used for isolation shall be clearly identified by position or durable marking to indicate the installation or circuit it isolates.

537.4.1.1 Means shall be provided for emergency switching of any part of an installation where it may be necessary to control the supply to remove an unexpected danger.

537.4.2.7 A device for emergency switching shall be so placed and durably marked so as to be readily identifiable and convenient for the intended use.

These regulations are general not just for houses but unless a grid switch is used the labelling becomes a problem so the group of 4 to 6 switches all together labelled drier, washer, dishwasher, freezer, fridge is normal plus a larger one for cooker or hob and oven. The cooker and washing machine are really essential but rest are just convenient. Far easier to flick a switch to de-frost than to pull whole unit out.

However the regulations are very general and nothing really says you must use that method. Power Grommets that allow you to feed the plug above the counter top could also be used. You see these a lot in schools and collages.

Your reference to fused spurs seems a little strange as normally the only fused spurs would be to feed an oven or other fixed appliance. Anything which is likely to be removed for maintenance would normally be plugged in so it can be unplugged and moved to a place where more access is available to repair then replace once complete.

There is a rule that any spurs off a ring main which have more than a single outlet (either single or double) need to go through a fused connection unit and I wonder if it is something to do with this rather than anything to do with isolation?

Something does not seem right and I feel something has been lost in the telling? I have listed regulations and that does not seem to fit with what you have related so maybe you can explain more fully what he wants to do and why.

I wonder if he is registered? Or is he using pre-wired equipment to get around Part P regulations?

the thing he showed me looked very much like a fused spur.... and what i am really asking is if i used to just plug the fridge,freezer,washing machine and tumble dryer ect straight into a plug socket why cant i just do the same now when the new kitchen is fitted

Sponsored Links
I tend to use something like this. Much neater than lots of seperate FCUs.

3Ggrid.jpg

I've been driving a car with no brake lights for some months, and no one has run into the back of me.

now that looks a lot neater and better where can i get it from so i can get them for mine and what other bits will i need to get for it and what size grid switch will i need would 20 amp be ok as i have had a look on tool station for the parts

just out of interest on this subject. I get having these switches for washing machines, dishwashers, tumbles and ovens, but do you need one for a fridge?

just out of interest on this subject. I get having these switches for washing machines, dishwashers, tumbles and ovens, but do you need one for a fridge?
I would fit a fuse or a secret key switch.

@ the OP, you need:

A grid front.
A Yoke of the corect width and gangs.
20 amp DP switches.
(and keyswitches if for fridge/freezer etc)
And a 35mm backbox.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back