Kitchen base units/worktop question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Posting here but if in wrong section, mods please move.

I'm fitting my kitchen base units, just an 'L' shape approx 3m X 2.5m. I'm pretty sure the room is not quite square, maybe an inch or so out at 3m but I am having quartz worktops fitted. If I fitted the unit’s all to the wall at the same distance, would the company that are supplying and fitting the worktop take that into account when making the template? In other words would they cut the joining end of one length of quartz at an angle by a couple of degrees so that I have the same overhang all round?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Posting here but if in wrong section, mods please move.

I'm fitting my kitchen base units, just an 'L' shape approx 3m X 2.5m. I'm pretty sure the room is not quite square, maybe an inch or so out at 3m but I am having quartz worktops fitted. If I fitted the it’s all to the wall at the same distance, would the company that are supplying and fitting the worktop take that into account when making the template? In other words would they cut the joining end of one length of quartz at an angle by a couple of degrees so that I have the same overhang all round?

I believe that is the whole idea of them doing the measuring etc etc...

J&K posted in here about how fitting a worktop after someone else has done the cabinets is usually a nightmare because they rarely manage to get them adequately square and level. Something to think about!

Surely you'd fit the units perpendicular and split the deviation?

IMG_20240513_171409281.jpg

Sponsored Links
Have quartz tops , company sent a guy with a tripod and laser template tool , can accommodate out of true units .

J&K posted in here about how fitting a worktop after someone else has done the cabinets is usually a nightmare because they rarely manage to get them adequately square and level. Something to think about!
I’ve used a laser to put a line around the wall and I’m just off out now to B&Q to treat myself to a new spirit level that hasn’t got a misted up sight glass! It’ll be absolutely spot on.

Mottie, Fit the kitchen parralel to the walls.

You could try and fit it so it's square but what you'll end up with is a tapered worktop, which is often seen in the margin behind the sink or hob and can become annoying.

The worktop Chaps will just do an out of square worktop join which won't show.

we had a quartz top fitted and the guy turned up with a tripod and laser / laptop computer
and was here quite a while discussing with me and the fitters various features , for the sink, taps , draining board groves , cooker hob cutout and the curved corner unit.

the base and full height units where all put together with a laser level and a few normal levels - i think one was about 2 meters

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back