Kitchen Ceiling Tiles - what are they made of ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
My daughter has just purchased a house and these fibre based tiles are on the kitchen ceiling.
This small piece fell off when I took down an old cupboard.
Are they inert and thus I can remove, or, should I get them tested ?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20220730_145500.jpg
    IMG_20220730_145500.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_20220730_145518.jpg
    IMG_20220730_145518.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 86
Sponsored Links
Popcorn.... ;)

They look like suspended ceiling tiles which are basically greyboard (like the cardboard backers on note pads). They do get very dusty, though, so wearing a mask is highly advisable. Otherwise pretty inert

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for prompt reply.
They are 12" square and glued to the plaster...was this a common way of fixing them ?
I'll wear a P3 mask - assume it will be a slow and painful removal with a hand scrapper - are there better ways ?

Normally they are supported loose in a lightweight steel grid below the structural ceiling (think about the suspended grid ceilings you see in offices, hotels and some shops) and the standard size is 600 x 600mm. The rebated edge gives the game away as to what they are. Possibly an attempt at insulation with some materials filched from work? Some really old tiles did contain small amounts of asbestos, but the use of that ceased in the 1980s

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Bought a place where they were fixed to kitchen ceiling with perimeter of thin timber slats to resemble a suspended ceiling , awful.!

Yes, those are the ones, with a "teg" edge. You can also get them with a plain edge, but TBH they aren't as common.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back