Kitchen correction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a kitchen installed in a new build (from a concrete floor and newly plastered walls) by two builders who although good at first did go off the whole job and started to cut corners. I am wondering if they have caused this problem I am about to explain.

I required a mitred joint on the worktops rather than one of those strip things. As carpenters were less than forthcoming about doing the job, I entrusted these two builders. They had a practice on some old worktop bits. Aesthetically the actual worktop looks good. However recently it has raised slightly:

I always thought this was a result of water getting in the joints. I have been very careful to not get water on this joint.

Because I have been careful not to get water on the joint, I thought it might be because the units (their legs) are sat directly on the concrete floor. The ceramic tiles (and tile cement) are tiled up to the legs and in the recesses where the washing machine and dishwasher are. The kickboard was then installed (on top of the edge of the tiles) which had to be sawn off at the top. Hence the washers are vertically a very tight fit. I am worried the vibrations are causing this problem.

What do you think? Water or vibrations or both? It was mentioned to me at the time of installation that vibrations can cause problems like tiles cracking.

To remedy this, I thought of removing all the units (and worktop), cementing tiles underneath the unit legs (so raising the units). I have a bit of leeway where the wall tiles start due to the trim (which is also getting discoloured and 'raising' off the bit of worktop where the spoiled join is). I would need new worktops and kickboards obviously.

What do you think about all this? What can I do?

Sponsored Links
Did they use worktop bolts underneath to clamp it together? Take a look and you should see them.

Yes they did - I remember buying the clamps and saw the builders installing them at the time.

I'm wondering if the installers didn't use silicone/colourfill before the worktops were bolted together.

Sponsored Links
InNeedOfAdvice said:
I'm wondering if the installers didn't use silicone/colourfill before the worktops were bolted together.

They did.

notb665 said:
Yes they did - I remember buying the clamps and saw the builders installing them at the time.

They've clearly not been tensioned properly as there wouldn't be that sort of movement.

Ok thanks - now that we've established what has gone wrong - how do you suggest I fix it? I have my own idea as you can read in the first post, but I am always open to suggestions from others... please...

You will need new worktop fitted correctly,the unit are also set too low the worktop height should clear the top of the washing machine easily.Kitchyen needs a refit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back