Kitchen cupboard reaplcement or re-paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My early 90's kitchen is looking faded!

However, when I look at replacement doors e.g. a vinyl door of 715mmx496,, is £28.00 at http://www.replacementkitchendoors.uk.com/range_pages/vinyl/vinyl_costs.htm A wooden verision is £47.00! These seem very pricy to me - The local kitchen place has even dearer prices. Does anyone have any leads on more reasonable prices? Prices seem more reasonable at http://www.newdoors.com/ Quote 'Just $24.00 for
unfinished/paintable doors!' Shame that translantic shipping would be rquired though. All part of Rip-off Britain I guess!!

ALternativley, what's the view on Painting the doors! Seems simple to me !!

Steve

Sponsored Links
Decided to paint my kitchen doors. Took them to a local pine furniture makes and they sprayed them with five coats of eggshell (satinwood). Cost about £10 per door & £5 per drawer front. They look like new, match the colour scheme perfectly, chips can be easily fixed. Above all they are now extremely durable & saved me a packet. :D

That's just what I wanted to hear - spraying would be so much easier. Did you have much trouble finding someone willing do do the work? I'll start ring around. Steve

First place I tried could do the job.Most furniture makers have separate paint shops. Good luck. Ensure the paint is satinwood or even gloss if you want a shiny finish and make sure they give you a tin for chips etc. Should give you an extra five years and the re-fitting of the doors only took me two hours and no mess!

Sponsored Links
hi im going to paint my kitchen cupboards. i dont have the money to have them painted. but i was told that i should buy boat paint. that it would last along time and would'nt chip. i 'll let you know how it worked judeonly

Painting results depend on time taken to prepare, must be spotlessly clean, then you can apply ESP to prime melamine surface, much quicker than any other method, then you can paint, roller is best if you don't have spray gun, you can use gloss, silk or emulsion [latex paint to our US reader] but the latter must be coated with a couple of coats of clear varnish to be durable.
My wife did ours a couple of times before we changed the doors [B&Q do them for around £15 per door] and used 5 coats in total to get good result.
All doors and draw fronts should be removed and painted flat.

Painting is a waste of time. Better off changing the doors regardless of price. It's your house, your primary asset, and adding value with NEW doors will put money in your pocket in the longer term.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back