Kitchen cupboards - tile around or under?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're getting a new kitchen soon and are hoping to get the MFI fitter to do some tiling after he's ripped the old one out.

Just wondered if it's best to tile under the new cupboards or around them. Cost isn't an issue, but I'm thinking that it would delay the installation of the cupbaords as it would need doing first.

So folks...around or under, which is best?
Same applies to the floor tiles.

Sponsored Links
in my opinion i would get the tiling done first

with regard to the floor, if you tile after you may have problems getting the kick strip and any appliances out since they will will be sitting in a "dip" and if the top of any appliance is level with the work surface you will not be able to lift it up to get it out for repair / service / change

We would prefer to have the floor and walls totally tiled.

Our only worry is that the installer may be delayed by having to do all of this and wait for them to set, etc. - I guess I'll have to see what he says when he comes to do the pre-installation survey.

You still can by packing up the base units with plywood to the same thickness of the floor tiles then do the floor tiles afterward. Normally I tile around the wall unit, no point having the tiles behind wall units.

Sponsored Links
having the floor tiled after does not really cause those problems as long as the fitter knows the approximate thickness of the floor tile and the bed. it just means he has to move the datum level up by the thickness. the feet on the cupboards will allow for this and the kickboards should fit as will the appliances. Just requires a bit of thought by the fitter beforehand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back