Kitchen Extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok here goes I'll try and explain this. We are looking at a
Kitchen extension on a standard 1930's three bed semi.

We want to widen and lengthen.

Widening will involve the removal of the coal hole/outside WC, will need a steel the whole length as it's a supporting wall.

Then what space is left of the side will need to be a covered passage.

A thought occurred to me the other day - once we've got the width would it be cheaper to build the length as an orangery style? It has advantages for natural light etc and might make the build quicker?

Secondly how to people construct covered side
Passages these days?

Hope this makes sense!

Sponsored Links
I can't make sense of what you have posted.
However if you add over 25% floor area + any glazed area you've removed in new windows in a heated space you will have to have a SAP or convince the BC that it'll be fine.
It will take just as long if not longer to build in lots of windows.

My side passage is none of your business.

I can't make sense of what you have posted.
However if you add over 25% floor area + any glazed area you've removed in new windows in a heated space you will have to have a SAP or convince the BC that it'll be fine.
It will take just as long if not longer to build in lots of windows.

My side passage is none of your business.

Thanks for responding - I realise my description was poor!

I've sketched it out does that help at all?!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    83.8 KB · Views: 118
Just do it on trend and stick to a extension with a large bifold door and a roof lantern/roof lights to give you light to the kitchen. It won't be any cheaper to do it as an orangery as it would still have to be constructed to building regulations, walls are cheaper than windows etc. The cost in that build will be access around the back and the break through if that's 2 story.
But not knowing your area/budget/style you might want something more architectural.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again tomfe. We are based in the West Mids.

You are probably right re. sticking to trend. Haven't considered two storey as I don't think we could stretch to it. Although I realise it's not double.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back