Kitchen fan extractor ducting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have searched the forum with no success to answering my problem, hope someone can help.

I have a ceiling extractor fan mounted in the kitchen of a top floor flat, the solid plastic ducting goes in to the loft vertically from the fan for about 200mm and then runs at 45 degrees to the roof apex where it joins a flexible pipe and attaches to a vent that goes up into the apex of the roof. I believe it vents where the ridge tiles are, as looking from the exterior the ridge tile is raised.

The problem I have is water is dripping from the fan in the kitchen. I do not know if this is condensation or rain water blowing under the ridge tile. There is about 40ml of water. Can anyone suggest what to do to stop this?

Is a condensation trap needed? or something else?
The fan was fitted when the property was built in 1992.

Many Thanks in advance
Adam

Sponsored Links
it is probably condensation.

does it occur mostly in cold weather?

if so, try and wrap some fibreglass insulation around the ducting. it can be held together with electrical tape or gaffer tape.

I have only been in the property since August. I have only noticed it this one time.

Thanks for the advise I shall try lagging the pipe first to see if that cures it.

I have never seen this type of vent arrangement before, where it vents in the roof apex, so wondered if something was amiss!

Thanks again. Ads

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back