Kitchen floor makeover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I have a 10 year old kitchen that was built over a 20 year old tiled floor. The tiles were installed by the house builder so not good quality and not that level!

When the kitchen went in, the budget didn't cover a new floor. Looking back, it was a mistake not to give the kitchen a full makeover (i.e. including the floor).

Given that the tiles are not that even and some are not fixed to the screed below, is there a way of stablising the floor and fitting flooring that doesn't involve ripping up tiles, levelling and relaying. Expense isn't really a limiting factor (although a gold plated or diamond encrusted option isn't planned).

Any ideas?

Barry.

Sponsored Links
if the floor is that uneven and not fixed in all places there really is only one solution, rip it up and start again. :cool:

Thanks jefos, I was afraid you were going to say that. Ripping up a floor in the kitchen is a pain since you have to continue to use it while the work goes on and the dust will get everywhere. Perhaps the dust will mask my poor cooking skills?

Hey-ho.

Barry

if you get a decent tiler in, you could have minimal distruption, he could be in and out in 3 days maybe, depending on the size of the floor, possibly sooner.

Sponsored Links
Probably need to get some quotes. I can do the job myself but like most DIYers it's the time it will take. Three days to get the tiles up would be a target and a week to lay the new floor. It will be a blinding job but .......

cheers again,

Baz

Probably need to get some quotes. I can do the job myself but like most DIYers it's the time it will take. Three days to get the tiles up would be a target and a week to lay the new floor. It will be a blinding job but .......

cheers again,

Baz

im sure the pro tiler would do almost as good a job as you ;)

Do it yourself, you will make a good job of it and save yourself a fair bit of cash to... not to mention the satisfaction you get from doing it yourself.

Best of luck, but I am sure you wont need it

Do it yourself, you will make a good job of it and save yourself a fair bit of cash to... not to mention the satisfaction you get from doing it yourself.

Best of luck, but I am sure you wont need it

want a job? you now seem to be professional as you did it yourself once.

:rolleyes:

Being a fairly Ok DIYer, I have taken on most jobs, including putting the kitchen in that I now wish to 'makeover'. Pro tilers like most tradesmen are working to a price and a time frame. The really good ones do a great job in no time at all. The less able do an OK job in no time at all (no offense).

The guy that tiled my house (it was a new build) fell into the second category as the floor is not that level and some of the tiles have sprung. Perhaps the guy that laid the screed was at fault and I have just libeled the tiler?

If you are that guy, may name is Frank and I live in Bury or I could be Gladys :rolleyes:

Cheers chaps and thanks for the support. Any donations to the pending court action to Gladys c/o Frank, Bury.

cheers

Glad

Jefoss all I did was give the guy a bit of encouragement, you may not have noticed but you are a member of a DIY forum yet all you seem to do is tell people to get professionals in, I have seen very little advice of any real worth from you. Not only that you have been rude and racially offence to me on another post because I decide to do a job myself rather than pay someone to do it. and here you are again on this post being sarcastic and rude.

I think you should read the home page of this website and also the rules of the forum so that you better understand the purpose of the website and the communication which is acceptable to its members

racially offence to me on another post
I think that's taking it a bit far mate. If I'm understanding this right, this comment is because Jef said "who ever said the jocks were tight"?
I agree Jef is a out of order for having a go at someone who does the job theirself, and I have no problem with you pulling him on it. But I'm getting sick of people using the race card to back themself up all the time. Calling him a racist is not the way to go. Personally, I'd have called him a dumb f*ucker and left it at that. ;)

Awww come on Smiffy,Jeff does have an odd sense of humor at times but I think your being a little OTT with your post.If his comment upset you that much then why not alert the mods and have it removed.

Anyway moving on from that wheres the pics you promised of your floor?

Jefoss all I did was give the guy a bit of encouragement, you may not have noticed but you are a member of a DIY forum yet all you seem to do is tell people to get professionals in, I have seen very little advice of any real worth from you. Not only that you have been rude and racially offence to me on another post because I decide to do a job myself rather than pay someone to do it. and here you are again on this post being sarcastic and rude.

I think you should read the home page of this website and also the rules of the forum so that you better understand the purpose of the website and the communication which is acceptable to its members

sarcastic, rude,racist, gorgeous, lovable.

sounds about right ;)

As the one that started this (!) I must admit I didn't take comments made by anyone negatively and was rather encouraged to give it a go. So thank you all for the input.

I have completed several jobs over the years and have collected kit (eg. tile saw) that makes life so much easier. Like most people that don't do tiling or whatever for a living I spend time (some would say waste time) on getting things 'just right'. This burns times, of course. Not have the right kit is also a factor. When you start out, you never have, right?

So, its a trade off, professional or competent DIYer; one will cost you money the other takes forever (and might end up costing you more). It's down to you in the end.

You made me smile gcol, thanks for the way you used the * to mask your obscenity - classic

Have a relaxing Sunday all.

Baz[/b]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back