Kitchen installation cheats?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Having a kitchen fitted in a week and looking at the drawings and the actual new extension now, I've lost 15mm on one wall and about 5mm on another - I.e the kitchen ordered is too big by the tiny amounts mentioned.

Do kitchen fitters have 'cheats' /' tricks' ways of making such circumastances fit?

Cheers in advance,

Sam[/b]

Sponsored Links
This is why it's always better to have the kitchen designed, after the extension is built. Site measurements are preferably to plan measurements. I once went to fit a kitchen (designed off plan) and one wall was 50 odd mm shorted than the plan. The customer couldn't understand why it wouldn't fit. ;)
I certainly wouldn't think 15mm is a tiny amount as you say. Even 5mm causes problems if the measurement is between two walls.

Sponsored Links
This is my concern. The 15mm shortfall is between to walls (as is the 5 mm)

in the 15mm mm run, there is a worktop support panel on the end of a run, so that the wash can go under the counter. That is 18mm and was hoping that could be left out?

Don't know whether to just bite the bullet, cancel the order and re-do (order lead-in times are a month though, so no kitchen for amonth) or hope the fitters can work miracles?

Or measure and just buy take away cabinets from b and q?

ideas?

Surely no one in their right mind would order a kitchen until the room has been plastered?

1) hack some plaster off

2) remember that in most corners, the worktop is trimmed to go right into the corner, but the units usually stop short.

3) remember that the walls will not be perfectly flat and straight, so minimum distance between surfaces may be even less than you think

Show us a pic of your floorplan.

If there is a support panel on the end next to where the washing machine goes, and is against a wall, I see no reason why it can't be left out. The old way to support the worktop would be to fix a batten to the wall underneath it. I'm sure the fitters will be able to fit one in, as there is usually some space above a washing machine. It just might not look as neat as a support panel.

Even if the panel was in the middle of a run it could usually be left out as long as the base units will support the top.

I might be overlooking something but it sounds feasible - at least in my head!

Why not ask the fitters what they think before cancelling anything?

Presumable the kitchen was not purchased to be an exact fit in the first place? :oops:

On a slightly different note......

I would not suggest fitting a kitchen into any freshly plastered room, as the excessive moisture levels in the room can play havoc with the doors, causing swelling and possible de-lamination of the surface, depending on the method of construction.

My advice would be
1) cancel your existing order
2) measure the walls, once plastered
3) while your waiting for the new units to arrive the room will be drying out properly.

OK, you lose a month, but in the scheme of things, it could be a lot less hassle than having a kitchen that does not fit properly, or one that as 'issues' in the future due to damage caused by the excessive humidity.

Best of luck

Robert

it all depends on where you purchased the kitchen.....

start there....

THanks for the advice guys.

Kitchen was from Wickes - too much hassle trying to get appointment times/make changes/not convinced by 'designers' understanding/ability

Cancelled the order - mentioned it to the buikder, who took the wife down to 'Howdens' today - kitchen bought/paid for/ and half installed by 5pm tonight! I know for future - build it - then buy the kitchen. And it was £1000 cheaper!

(plaster was done last week so is dry - what a massive relief).

Thanks for your help and advice (except you nonseal - why you feel the need to put people seeking help down and make them feel silly on an 'advice forum' is beyond me? Bit mean spirited don't you think?).

Rest of you thank you again

peace.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back