kitchen light comes on but wont turn off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:confused: Any help so that I can fit a new light fitting to the kitchen.

i've added some photos for you to see the wiring & the old light fitting etc...(which I want to replace with a new light fitting}

Ok, as you will see from the pics that there are 6 wires coming from the ceiling.

2 Red
2 Black
2 Earth

This wiring was connected fine to the old light fitting but when I tried to fit me new light fitting, the lights stayed ON but would not turn OFF, so I tried the wiring to different locations on the light fitting, then I tripped the fuse box (obviously the wiring was wrong at this point)

I know that the black wiring can be classed as a LIVE wire also.

Basically all i want is a step by step guide on getting the wiring connected to the new light fitting.

The new light fitting as an Earth Wire, neutral & Live

{i have upload some pics to an album on this site, so hope you can see them}

Many thanks for reading and I hope someone can help me get light back in the Kitchen.

Thanks & Merry Christmas

Sponsored Links
2 reds together in a connector block

one black in live and one in neutral.... (you need to find out which is which)

Sponsored Links
Of the two cables coming from ceiling, one is the live supply and one goes to the switch.
Have you any means of identifying them--eg with a tester, or test lamp?

At a real pinch, turn off your mains at the panel, and connect red and black of one cable to your new lamp. Turn on mains. If it lights you have found the main supply.

Turn off mains and disconnect lamp.

Now connect the red from the mains to the red to the switch cable.
Connect the black from the switch to the new lamp (Mark the wire with a red tape as should have been done originally and as you can see was done at the switch plate)
Connect the other lamp connector to the black cable from the mains.

You may need to use cable connector blocks or your lamp may be supplied with connection points, (like a ceiling rose}
Connect earth wires together and to lamp fittEing if metal

ie just as ELZ said and there is no real need to bother which way round the lamp black wires are inserted

Also don't forget to sleeve up your black switch line at the fitting with brown sleeving.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back