Kitchen light - no loop out?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My house was built in the sixties or seventies.

I have been installing seven 35watt downlighters in my kitchen ceiling.

The old light (three 60 watt spots on a track) ran off a junction box which had four cables into it. I assumed that these were: switch, lamp holder, supply in, supply out.

I have wired the new downlighters five in a daisy chain (with 5 amp junction boxes and a short connection cable on each one) and the other two on a separate daisy chain (with 5 amp junction boxes and a short connection cable on each one).

So I was all ready to connect the two daisy chain ends to the old 'lamp holder' terminals in the old junction box.

I have just now discovered that what I thought was the 'supply out' cable is in fact a cable to an old disused clock outlet. There is no 'supply out'.

I have disconnected the disused clock outlet and ripped out the wiring. The old light still works as normal.

I'm a bit thrown. Can I carry on with my original plan?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
If the old light still works as normal, you need to connect your feed(s) to the same terminals as the light, ie switched live, neutral & earth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back