Kitchen Lights & Part P

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I need to replace the fluorescent tubes lightining my kitchen. My missis wants downlights but I think they take too much power. Also am I right in thinking I cannot fit these because it needs reporting under part Regs? Aklternatively, if I just replaced the fluorescent tubes with an alternative fitting does this also fall under the same regs?

Sponsored Links
Replacing a fitting in a kitchen is not notifiable.

Wiring additional points is. You are right about downlighters using obscene amounts of power, unless you were to install CFL downlights, but they are still not as good a light source as a flourescent fitting.

See here and here

more power than what?

It depends on how may and what watt they are going to be.

let Mrs dominican read this.

Also by there nature dwon lights produce a "pool" of light so you have to have lots, but how many is lots? then people moan its too bright so they fit a dimmer, but a dimmer defeats the object of halogens since halogens life is reduced by using a dimmer (long story- short version the heat is used to rebuild the filament)

Stick with the flouresecent, great invention saves energy great light coverage

You're right, the amount of TH lamps to create the same lighting level you have now will undoubedly take more power

Stick with what you have, a flouresecent fitting is the best way to light a kitchen IMHO :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the opinions. I agree the fluorescent tube works well but it doesn't look too good. Its a pitty nobody makes any modern versions of the fluorescent tube.

dominican said:
Thanks for the opinions. I agree the fluorescent tube works well but it doesn't look too good. Its a pitty nobody makes any modern versions of the fluorescent tube.

They do, take look at the wealth of new and innovative lighting now available.

I went to a friends house last week, in her kitchen was a twin fluorescent fitting, with a curved wing shaped diffuser and grey end caps. It looked quite stylish. I would be interested to know where it was bought from. It was only 2 or 3 feet though.

Yes can any one give any ideas as where to look for modern looking flurescent fittings, have tried google with no luck . cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back