Kitchen/Living Room light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 2 lights in my living room and 1 in my kitchen(open plan) My living room lights work fine, how ever my kitchen light hasnt for some time.
In the light switch itself, there is the 2 red live wires and 2 black neutral with two earths. How ever, only one of my Lives seem to be live, which I dont understand as the light has worked in the passed, so two questions, where do I find where the problem is? And if that is to much of a problem, is there a way I can make the one working live wire supply both of the neutrals?

Sponsored Links
By the sound of it you have two switch wires in your lightswitch - these will probably be fed from the light fittings themselves.

It sounds like a wire has either been misconnected or come loose in your kitchen light fitting, so your best bet is to take a look in there and see if anything's loose. If not, then if you describe (or ideally take a picture of) the connections, people on here might be able to identify what's wired wrong.

Assuming they both are switch wires, you could use the same live to run both, BUT, the fact that one of the wires has no power on it, implies something is wrong, which could be as I've suggested (loose / mis connection), or the cable could have been damaged, at which point putting power back along the switch wire would be a bad idea, so you should try and determine why it doesn't work first...

Is this a separate light switch on its own?
How do you know the two black wires are neutrals? Are they connected together in a connector at the back of the switch?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back