lighting question - 2 switched lives

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just started rewiring a light in my kitchen. When I looked at the wiring config. on the old strip light there are two switched lives. There are in total four sets of wires connected as such:

4 red - all joined
2 black (switched lives) - connection block - brown
2 black neutral - connection block - blue
4 earths - connection block - yellow green

Is this configuration correct? I thought theres usually only one switched live?

Sponsored Links
Is there another light that comes on with this one ?

Are these twin and earth cables or singles with double sheath or a mixture of both ?

why use flickr when you have photo space on this website? it just makes life hard and I hate having to click external links.. that way lies unknown viruses.... :evil:

anyway, back to the point...

that's a weird configuration..
if you had a second light or a fan then you would have 3 neutrals.. you only have 2..

it sugests a second switch, but then that would also be wrong because you'd have to turn both switches off to turn the lights off..

Sponsored Links
sorry I forgot I had an album on here, i've added it there now for ease

How should I wire this with the new fitting? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

same, if it ain't broke don't fix it..

it doesn't look like it would be posing a danger, so as long as there's no weird goings on with the neighbours kitchen light coming on for no reason then leave it be...

hi this is just a guess. look in the switch and see if there
is a cable in there that has been disconnected
it does look weird as said above possible bodged
attempt at 2 way switching

its possible there was once A ceiling fan with integral light fitted- it would explain the second switch wire,have a look at the switch end there will probably be two switch wires that end too

Thanks for all the advice. Well today I dug out my meter and checked the wires, it turned out one of them wasn't a switched live at all but a neutral. I guess its lucky I never used that light much since I moved in. Still i've no way of knowing how long its been wired that way. Could this have caused any damage?

if it was a neutral then it would have blown the fuse / breaker every time you switched the light on.. a direct short live to neutral..

why do you think it's a neutral?

I tested all the wires using a digital tester and only one was detected as switched live. I tried every light switch in my house to make sure and I got nothing except the one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back