Kitchen - Major Help Needed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Can any one of you guys shed some light for me on this very stressful time of purchasing a kitchen and designing.... :)

Currently we have a kitchen that is about 12ft x 6ft - imagine a terrace house kitchen but without the extra 4ft extension....we are in the process of trying to get a new kitchen and have some floating ideas. The biggest problem is that there is no back door in the kitchen at present and this is the first phase of the kitchen build.

There used to be a back door in the kitchen, however they must have took it out as they have bricked the wall back up. If you stand at one end of the kitchen and face the "back door" it is quite off centre and around 3inches away from the right hand corner of the wall.

The colour scheme of the kitchen will be slate granite floor tiles, lissa oak cabinets, black brazil wortkops and black, grey and light grey wall tiles with stainless stell extractor fan and sink and oven with integrated fridge and freezer. I am thinking about painting the walls an indian red so like a dark red to go with the above. Any help would be massively appreciated on these questions:-

1. We would like to have a brown uPVC back door and we have been told that we would need brown outside and white on the inside. Would a white uPVC door look alright inside our kitchen or would brown on both sides look better given the colour scheme above?

2. Do we keep the "back door" where it is or move it more into the middle of the wall. The builder advised us about the 6inch reveal on the door and told us to keep "door frame" where it is. However we dont want to spend X amount of thousands on a kitchen and have the door bring the kitchen down as it is not centralised and may look rubbish. What would you guys do? If we were to move the door into a more centralised position we are only talking about a 5inch move.

Again, any help would be massively appreciated

Thanks! :D

Sponsored Links
The problem your going to have with moving the door is how big the lintle is above the door, you may have to put a bigger lintle in, or if it`s two storey, maybe a RSJ, i`d just keep it where it is, and i`d definatly have a white door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back