Kitchen makeover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just about to paint kitchen cupboards and wall tiles. The paint I have bought from Wickes says no primer is required. Would it give a better (more durable) finish if it were primed first. Also it says to use wet and dry to provide a key.

I know this will probably make me look a right nerd :oops: but does this mean that you have to wet the sandpaper to use it ? Always wondered what wet and dry meant :confused:

Thanks Blod

Sponsored Links
hello what paint have you got? wet and dry is a special sand paper that you can put in water but i dont think that would give it much of a key myself as it is realy smoth.

I have never used this myself but you can get this for hard to stick places like kitchen doors ect. It depends on what paint you have as then you might not need this stuff. you can get this stuff from homebase, here is the link

http://www.international-paints.co.uk/scripts/prime/prime_melamine_kitchen_units.html?surfaceid=49

and this one for your tiles

http://www.international-paints.co.uk/scripts/prime/prime_tiles.html?surfaceid=51

hope this helps carl

Hi

You dont say if the doors are melamine or mdf/wood.

If melamine then the international primer will be suitable. Without a suitable primer on melamine you will find that the paint scratches off or chips.

Roughing the surface would be advisable, I would use a 200 grade silicon carbide paper- I dont like wet and dry- too messy plus water and wood don't go well together.

I appreciate that you have already shelled out for the paint but Wickes is a diy shed and frankly I would not hold much store by any advice that they give. I am assuming that they recommend wet and dry because they don't sell sterate coated silicon. The sterate coating prevents the paper from clogging- with wet and dry the water stops the paper from clogging.

IF the doors are previously painted and in good condtion then no primer or undercoat will be required if the colour change is subtle.

Thanks for your helpful replies.

The kitchen cupboards are melamine coated but not shiny white. So is it better if I use primer first and then apply the cupboard paint which is a water based tough satin finish, even though it says no need for a separate primer or undercoat ?

Thanks Blod

Sponsored Links
Sorry about the delay in getting back to you.

I guess that you have painted them by now.

I for one would not want to use a waterbased paint- my own preference- problems with brush strokes and durability.

In your situation I would strongly recommend the primer to reduce the risk of chipping and scratching.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back