Kitchen Mono Mixer Tap, wont stop leaking may need new part

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i have a mono mixer tap in my kitchen and its leaked for ages, i finally got round to removing the tap thinking it would need a new washer but its not that simple. The top of the tap leaks water and the up and down and sideways motion was tight and creaky. I took out the inside parts and everything looked fine so i lubed all the seals with vaseline and put it back together, it still leaks whether the top nut is finger tight or tightened with spanner, im guessing whoever fitted it may have overtightened it to start with and caused the leak.
Anyway here is the tap, my house was a new build 2 years ago and there is no brand marked on the tap. The internal unit had a part nujber on the side of smr 1106.

any suggestions on how to fix this or obtain a replacement part, im unemployed just now so cant really afford to just go and buy another tap thats why i would rather fix this.

many thanks in advance

tap004.jpg

tap003.jpg

tap002.jpg

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid its probably a 'contract' quality tap, ie. low quality. These are usually made in China these days.

For some of these taps, 2 years is about it. It seems you have done about as much as you can by lubricating the tap, but unfortunately as its unlikely to be a branded model, you are unlikely to get the replacement parts you require.

Cheap taps are a false ecomomy. You may have to budget for a new one.

I'm afraid its probably a 'contract' quality tap, ie. low quality. These are usually made in China these days.

For some of these taps, 2 years is about it. It seems you have done about as much as you can by lubricating the tap, but unfortunately as its unlikely to be a branded model, you are unlikely to get the replacement parts you require.

Cheap taps are a false ecomomy. You may have to budget for a new one.

thanks for the info, i may have to bite the bullet and get a new one, maybe try and get a bargain off of ebay as funds are low. I thought no harm asking on here first to see if anyone had a solution. thanks

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

If you intend staying in your house for a number of years, it may be worth investing in a branded tap.

However, cheapies like the one you have are available for £15 on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CHROME-MONOBL...rden_Kitchen_SinksTaps_GL&hash=item4aa1a1fa69

Trouble is, you will be in the same situation in 2 years time! :(

yes i realise that, i have no idea how long i will be here, i do usually go for quality brand names anyway, ill try and get a decent second hand tap rather than a cheap unbranded one. thanks again

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back